USB Startup time is over 20 minutes!

Hi

The startup time of my WDTV is well above 20 minutes. There seems to be a direct relation between how much content is on the external harddrive and how long time it takes for the device to become fully functional.

I use my 2 Tb disk for a Time Machine backup, so obviously it has a lot of data on it besides media. Before I started using backups I recall startup times being a lot faster. Another issue is that the WiFi USB dongle is also non-functional until the USB drive has initialized.

I tried disabling the media library, but it doesn’t do any difference. When can I expect a firmware update to fix this?

Best regards

Seph

Mine certainly don’t take that long to scan.

Some users have reported that when they repaired the damaged filesystem on their USB drive, their mount/scan times went from agonizingly long/never finishing back to normal/acceptable.

Have you attached the drive to a PC and tried repairing the file system?

As Roofingguy has said, use you PC to check the drive for errors.

Just brought a WD 2TB hard drive, have spent hours to put about 1.5TB worth of films, music and pictures on it - plugged it into my WD Live and expected to be sitting for ages waiting for my WD to scan and write it’s .wd folder, only 4 minutes later and the drive was ready, the drive now takes about 48 seconds to load now the indexing has been done.

I too have experienced delays of about 20mins indexing a WD USB 250GB HD.  I will check the drive for errors, but was wondering if drive errors could also account for the sluggishness in playing music - especially on shuffle?  There is a delay of about 20 secs before the first song plays and the same gap between tracks.  This is obviously not by design.