USB powered external drives thru a Hub

i have three 1TB USB powered external drives and with the front USB port taken with the WIFI adapter i would like to add in the back port a powered 4 port USB hub.
my question is would the three USB powered external drives connected thru the powered USB hub work and be recognized.
many thanks for any assistance
lionelk

I think that USB hubs are not supported by WD Hub. I would definitely lose WiFi dongle and go with LAN. Do you have USB ports on router capable Network Shares or DLNA? If not try to get USB Hub with Ethernet adapter, cheep way to create NAS out of 3 external HDDs.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=USB%20hub%20network

I don’t see one listed in that link that would act as NAS. Seems like they are for adding USB ports and an ethernet connection for a computer that has no ethernet connector. I would love to have one that let you connect USB drives with a RJ45 connect to my router without the need for client/server software…does it even exist?

I used Cirago NUS1000 Network USB Storage 

there is new version

http://www.cirago.com/nus2000.php

You can set up Network Share, DLNA, iTunes, and Torrent download

foetus wrote:

I used Cirago NUS1000 Network USB Storage 

there is new version

http://www.cirago.com/nus2000.php

You can set up Network Share, DLNA, iTunes, and Torrent download

Ugh! I tried one of these about a year ago. It was DOA and so was the replacement…so I gave up on it.

Linksys has something…looking at that right now.

Mine is still working, and it is 5 years old

attn foetus

many thanks for your input. my router is one supplied by my ISP which has one big advantage for me as it has an internet phone connection/service.

it does have two USB ports unfortunately the documentation does not adequatley describe  what they are used for and my lack of knowledge of the technology does not help either.i will call them in the morning but assuming the routers USB ports are capable of Network Shareing or DLNA how do i go about taking advantage of using them and what would i need. my apologies for my lack of knowledge in this area but i would very much appreciate some clarification  in order to understand how i can take advantage of this

many thanks again

lionelk

You can also attach printers to them and some support web cams.

attn foetus

further to my last message.i dont know if this means or proves anything but until i can call the ISP regarding the USB connection   i connected a hard drive with media on it to the routers USB port the router showed a connection and the had drive powered up but of course i could not read anything on it does this mean that it could possibly support networking shares?

i use the WIFI dongle purely because of distance convenience my TV and Hub are quite aways from my PC and router.

i checked out the Cirago NUS2000. as the wdtv hub does not accept USB hubs would this device then solve my problem with my three USB hard drives.  in other words if i cannot have the three external hard drives physically connected to the hub can i connect them to the Cirago NUS2000 at  still read them thru WIFI. i hope i am explaining my self correctly

lionelk

First you will have to enable Network shares on your router, ip of your router is usually written declaration with login and pass, but in your case it is better to wait for technician from your Internet provider.

NUS will be available on your network including WiFi, if you have someone to set it up for you would be great. It is not so complicated. You can attach 4x 2TB external HDDs. In your case 3x 1TB external HDDs and if you have printer you can attach it too.

attn foetus

thank you.i  access my router IP pretty frequently just to look around what would the wording be .i saw that it says automatically accept any and all new devices.is there a specificx thing to look for?.by looking threy everything it seems to me that most everything is aready enabled but mind you i do not know what specifically or exactly to look for.i think i can do it by myself otherwise i could call the ISP people and have them run me thru it by phone.i live on a remote island off tahiti and am therefore a long way from the ISP so there are no technicians available .

also last question does the Cirago NUS1000 connect to the USB port of the router or is it connected by ethernet,

the power adapter that comes with it is it 100-240V i only have 220V where i live.

many thanks again for assistance you have been most kind

regards

lionelk

YOu have to access it over web interface. Just type in routers IP in your web browser.

NUS connects to LAN, and it would be for the best to dedicate static IP address, because you will have to access it´s web interface just like routers.

240=220 

http://www.nojolt.com/Understanding_240_volt_circuits.shtml