USB port not working with 2.31.195 firmware

My EX2 Ultra will no longer detect a backup drive connected to either USB port. I get the error message “Cannot enable port. Maybe the USB cable is bad?” I tried multiple cables - same result. I am able to take this back drive and repartition, reformat into NTFS, FAT32, ext4 - none work on EX2 Ultra. If I take a (FAT32 formatted) thumb drive and connect that to EX2 Ultra, that works fine. Just my 2TB backup drive cannot be detected (even though it works fine on either laptop of desktop machines). My EX2 Ultra recently auto-updated to 2.31.195 firmware. I would like to try reverting to an earlier version. When I click on the release for 2.31.163, the link to download the bin file takes me to 2.31.174 firmware for My Cloud PR4100. Is firmware for these two products compatible? Why can’t I just get to a generic download page and download 2.31.163 for my EX2 Ultra?

See the dedicated subforum for the EX2 series of devices where users more familiar with the EX2 Ultra may be able to assist. Typically this subforum (My Cloud) tends to discuss the single bay/single drive My Cloud device.

https://community.wd.com/c/network-attached-storage/wd-my-cloud-ex2