USB Hub?

Hello,

I am trying to find a good USB hub to use with my WD TV Media Player.

I want the kind that has individual on/off switches for each USB socket (so I don’t have to connect/disconnect the USB cords to my external HDDs whenever I only want one of them turned on at the moment).

Is there such a thing that someone can confirm works? Best would be one that does not require an ac-adaptor to be plugged into the wallsocket, but instead run on USB power.

The switches are the most important though. I cant find this on Amazon. Any suggestions?
PS: I want something that someone can confirm works on this player. I already bought one from China that did not work!

Non powered Usb Hubs … only support a maximum of 2 Bus powered USB portable drives … anything more, then you need externally powered hdds.

Usb hubs with “switches” there’s oodle’s of them when you do a Google search

ps. if Amazon doesent have them … look eslewhere

pps. i bought a super cheap 10port Usb Hub from China and it works fine … so it’s a bit of “Lucky Dip” with whatever you buy.

if you are worried what you buy is not gonna work … ask about the sellers “Refund Policy” before purchasing.

Hi Joey, thanks for your reply!

what does “2 Bus powered USB portable drives” mean? Does it mean I can only use two portable drives at once or is “2 bus” some particular type of portable drive? I use WD Passport drives. Would I be able to have two of those connected at the same time to a USB-powered hub or would I need an externally powered hub?

Actually, I don’t even have to have them both powered on at the same time.

To elaborate a little further, the reason I need a hub is because I have many drives with files. My problem is that I don’t like having to unplug and plug another drive in everytime I need to access a file from a different drive, it would be much easier to just flick one drive off with a SWITCH, then switch the other drive on (without having to unplug anything).

So in other words, only one at a time of my WD Passport drives needs to be on while plugged into the hub.

Let me know if you know any USB-powered hub with switches I could do this with.

“Usb Bus Powered”  aka  Self Powered    ie no external power

eg. i have 2 of these which will work at the same time with a non-powered usb hub

201012050709379_wd-elements-5.jpg

ps.  i have (had) many hdd’s as well … now i only have “2”  a 4TB and a 3TB  (so, i have a bunch of 500Gb and 1TB’s sitting in the cupboard now … gathering dust)

Ah… Just one more question then… If I get a USB-powered hub with say 8 usb-sockets, each socket with its own on/off switch, and I plug 8 wd usb drives into it (such as the one in your pic), but i only flick 1 (or 2) of the switches to on, that should work ok?

i suppose so ? … can’t guarantee anything

which is why i said this …

if you are worried what you buy is not gonna work … ask about the sellers “Refund Policy” before purchasing

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/USB-Hub/m-p/901942#M3450

I have a high wattage 10 port usb hub that works great I had a smaller one piggy backed to another one to get the 10 ports with aparent low wattage and the drives were constatly cutting in and out and the wd would not see them. Got it from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JEPIOOQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 total time I have had most of thes e drives connected and powered all the time is 4 years and have only lost 1 hard drive

Usb Hub suggested by tm224 has really good reviews. Thanks I may buy this one soon.

Screenshot_2.jpg