USB Hub support

Just a simple question.

Can the WD Media Players support a USB HUB connection so that I can attach more the 2 Hard Drives?

Welcome to the forums.

No, they cannot.  The only thing you can do is use an NAS.

Hi, is there a reason as to why the usb hub is not supported? I had purchased the first generation wd tv media player and it picked up the hub with two 1tb hdd attached to it? I upgraded to the plus and im a bit dissapointed that it doesnt pick up the hub? will there possibly be a fix for that?

WD has never commented, but I was reading on the Boxee forum the developers wrote that USB hub support is a B@TCH to program because so few are compliant, and they would have to code in exceptions for every different box, so, they are probably not going to support them, either. If those guys say that, there’s probably a lot of truth…

That blows! Makes me want to return it and just get something else that will.

Keep in mind my comments were about the BOXEE BOX developers, not WD’s developers…

I see…also on Best Buys site it says this:

Expandable design
Add another USB drive (not included) for additional storage space

what does that mean?

It means the Live and the Live plus come with no storage, but they have USB ports where individual drives can be added.

The Live Hub has the internal drive, but USB drives can also be added.

I have seen 3rd party firmware that does support USB hubs, but the firmware from WD does not.

How would i be able to install that firmware on my wd live plus?

Third-party software supports it.

Also. WD firmware version 1.02.07 and earlier supported USB hubs.  However, all versions after 1.02.07 do not support it.

pobs123 wrote:

Third-party software supports it.

Also. WD firmware version 1.02.07 and earlier supported USB hubs.  However, all versions after 1.02.07 do not support it.

Not true, apparently.  In many other postings around here, people claim to still be sucessfully using hubs.

(Probably the ones that are strictly USB compliant…  apparently there are a bunch of hubs that are NOT compliant.)

But even if you have a working hub, you cannot add more than one drive per native USB  Host-Port.   The Live will not enumerate them.

I have had a WDTV Live for over a year.   Last week, I decided to add WDTV Live Hub to my network.

Since the WDTV Live is out of warranty, and I have the WDTV Live Hub in case I completely screw up the WDTV Live, I decided to add the custom firmware.

Although it does not have all of the “bells and whistles” of the newer WD firmware, it does support USB hub without issues.   Once loaded the firmware - and disabled “Media Library”, it works flawlessly with the USB hub.

I currently have 4 drives all connected to a powered USB hub, plugged into USB2: 

• WD 3 TB Drive (2 - 1.5 TB partitions labelled PART1 and PART2)
  • WD 1.5 TB Drive (labelled 1.5TB)
  • WD 1.5 TB Drive (labelled 2nd_1.5TB)
  • WD 1 TB Drive (labelled Elements)

When I click on “USB2” I see 5 sub-folders, “PART1”, “PART2”, “1.5TB”, “2nd_1.5TB” and “Elements”.  The only drawback I have seen with this, is that the drives remain powered on - even when the WDTV Live is powered off.

Of course, I am losing the newer features too - but I don’t care about that - because I have them on the WDTV Live Hub.

Any clues as to how i can get that firmware on mine? Thanks for everything guys!

You can find it here:

http://forum.wdlxtv.com