Ok. I have it working now: a 4TB My Studio II 92x2TB HDs). HEre are a few things I did and learned along the way.
I’m running RAID Manager 2.25 on OSX 10.6.6.
I have three My Book Studio II enclosures; one 1TB model (2x500GB HDs) bought a couple years ago, and two 2TB models (2x1TB HDs) bought more recently. I think this is important to note — that the products as sold to me were 1TB model and 2TB models.
Firstly, make sure you have your drive plugged in via USB as my eSata connections were not working with Drive Manager or RAID Manager. Once running via USB, the drive showed up in RAID Manager. with eSata, the drive could only be seen in Disk Utility and only at a maximum of 2.2TB.
I’ve been trying to hack my 1TB into a 4TB, and I was having no luck at all. It appears that the 1TB enclosure would not recognise my newly installed 2x2TB drives as 4TB, no matter what I did. It would recognise at a 2.2TB array (in Disk Utility), but I couldn’t get it any higher.
Next I tried using one of my 2TB enclosures which is where I had some luck, replacing 2x1TB HDs with 2x2TB HDs. I’m not sure how you can get around this if you don’t have access to a 2TB enclosure. Once I could see the drive in RAID Manager, I recofigured from RAID0 HFS+ to RAID0 FAT32, which then showed the drive as ~3.7TB. Disk Utility also recognised the drive as a 4TB drive. I reconfigured back to RAID0 HFS+ which still showed the larger capacity.
That’s it. I now have a 4TB My Book Studio II*
* I should mention that it’s the old 2TB model running at 4TB now. The 2x1TB disks I removed from the 2TB model are happily running in my old 1TB model. In a nutshell, this is what happened:
Original 2TB model is now a 4TB drive
Original 1TB model is now my old 2TB drive
I have 2x500GB drives to use elsewhere.