Upgrade WDTVLIVE to LIVEPLUS ... going nutz

I’m running vista home premium 32bit.  Before changing boxes the LIVE box saw shared folders via media server function and played every MKV file w/o issue because I’m using a back level firmware v1.01.11 without issue.

I REMOVED the LIVE box put the new LIVEPLUS box on the same wired network connection. I rebooted vista. I immediately had problemsusing media servier function with LIVEPLUSnot  seeing some all of the shared folders LIVE box saw. The other problems include not showing folder contents of those folders it can see. ALSO the LIVEPLUS connection is abouting vista’s Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. AND the LIVEPLUS box is not playing MKV files telling me that that format isn’t supported.

So I figure OK, I’ll remove the LIVEPLUS box and put back the working LIVE box… SO I THOUGHT

After many vista reboots the LIVE box doesn’t see some shared folders (it used to see all the shared folders). The LIVE box (NO FIRMWARE UPDATE) now doesn’t play MKV files telling me their format isn’t supported.

THATS THE MAIN ISSUE…ALL OF A SUDDEN w/o A FIRMWARE UPDATE THE LIVE BOX DOESN’T PLAY MKV FILES ANY LONGER.  There’s no rational explanation for that.  I can accept that some shares are no longer found.

WHY are MKV files now failing on the LIVE box ?

i put an MKV file on a usb stick and tried to play it and it wouldn’t play as a local file. From what I’ve read this is some sort of transcoding problem??? I’m using WMP11 which plays MKV files.  I’ve setup media sharing inside WMP ages ago and haven’t touched it.

I"M GOING NUTZ…

can anyone help with this problem, thsnks

PS… I’m sure that I haven’t mixed up the boxes…I’m sure that I didn;t reset the firmware on the LIVE box…something seems to have made VISTA not work with the LIVE box which was working perfectly at the old firmware lever…It played all MKV files w/o issues at that firmware level. It found all shared folders and files UNTIL I tested the LIVEPLUS box.

resetting the box generally gets back format functionality. give it a shot. can’t hurt

DBilly wrote:

I’m running vista home premium 32bit.  Before changing boxes the LIVE box saw shared folders via media server function and played every MKV file w/o issue because I’m using a back level firmware v1.01.11 without issue.

I REMOVED the LIVE box put the new LIVEPLUS box on the same wired network connection. I rebooted vista. I immediately had problemsusing media servier function with LIVEPLUSnot  seeing some all of the shared folders LIVE box saw. The other problems include not showing folder contents of those folders it can see. ALSO the LIVEPLUS connection is abouting vista’s Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. AND the LIVEPLUS box is not playing MKV files telling me that that format isn’t supported.

So I figure OK, I’ll remove the LIVEPLUS box and put back the working LIVE box… SO I THOUGHT

After many vista reboots the LIVE box doesn’t see some shared folders (it used to see all the shared folders). The LIVE box (NO FIRMWARE UPDATE) now doesn’t play MKV files telling me their format isn’t supported.

THATS THE MAIN ISSUE…ALL OF A SUDDEN w/o A FIRMWARE UPDATE THE LIVE BOX DOESN’T PLAY MKV FILES ANY LONGER.  There’s no rational explanation for that.  I can accept that some shares are no longer found.

WHY are MKV files now failing on the LIVE box ?

i put an MKV file on a usb stick and tried to play it and it wouldn’t play as a local file. From what I’ve read this is some sort of transcoding problem??? I’m using WMP11 which plays MKV files.  I’ve setup media sharing inside WMP ages ago and haven’t touched it.

I"M GOING NUTZ…

can anyone help with this problem, thsnks

PS… I’m sure that I haven’t mixed up the boxes…I’m sure that I didn;t reset the firmware on the LIVE box…something seems to have made VISTA not work with the LIVE box which was working perfectly at the old firmware lever…It played all MKV files w/o issues at that firmware level. It found all shared folders and files UNTIL I tested the LIVEPLUS box.

It sounds like you have a number of problems going on-

1. If you are on firmware v1.01.11 then there are MKV files that cannot be played on the WDTV Live. Search the the forums for MKV Header Compression and you will find out why and how to fix it.

2. If you are using Windows Media Player as a media server to serve MKV’s then I don’t know how you got it working. I have not heard that this is possible.

“Not playable” sounds like the Share is still being scanned when you’re trying to play your media.  Having some patience might help.

And WMP will play (and stream) .mkv as long as the Matroska directshow filter is installed on the PC.

I don’t know exactly why vista finally woke up and showed all media server shares, but it did.

I had gone back to WMP and checked the library to make sure it matched the shared folders I had created.

I reinstalled/updated all the codecs on my laptop and finally most all the MKV files played again.

I didn’t have to change the firmware to get MKV files to play.

So my WDTVLIVE box is back working the way it was before I bought and switched in the WDTVLIVEPLUS box.

NOW ON TO DEBUGGING why the my PLUS box doesn’t handle any shares at the latest firmware. I already backleveled the firmware from 1.04.10 to 1.03.29 based upon what I’ve read on this forum but media shares are not working on that firmware either.

In any case I’m seriously considering changing over to TVersity media server vs. the one in Vista/WMP which may fix the shares issues.

If back-revving firmware didn’t solve the issue, then the issue is not firmware related.