Updating the twonky server to 7

I’ve seen a few posts where people have said they updated the twonky 5 server that comes with the live hub to version 6 or 7, so that you can stream MKV files (yes versions 6 and 7 allow this).  WD has already stated that new firmware will NOT include any new versions of twonky, as obviously they are only allowed to distribute the version 5 they have licenses for.

My question is, how did those few who managed the upgrade do it?  I don’t see a twonky folder (i have view hidden folders on) on the hub’s HDD. And as I’ve yet to manage to get SSH working on the live hub.  I’ve got a WD tv live media streamer due any day soon for the bedroom to compliment my live hub, and a lot of my films are in MKV format.

Anyone out there know how to do this?

No, not on the Live Hub…

People have done so (and it’s quite easy) on the My Book Live and My Book Live Duo NAS devices, though.

Bit of a pain that.  I ordered a hub and the media streamer, but going by what people say I wont be able to stream MKV’s to the streamer over the in built twonky server.  Before I found this out I was well chuffed with the hub, its a fantastic piece of kit.

Narny wrote:

Bit of a pain that.  I ordered a hub and the media streamer, but going by what people say I wont be able to stream MKV’s to the streamer over the in built twonky server.  Before I found this out I was well chuffed with the hub, its a fantastic piece of kit.

Untrue…  The Hub has no problems at all streaming MKVs to the SMP.

As far as I can tell, people that are having problems with MKVs are using 3rd party hardware as a receiver.  But the WD SMP has no issues with it.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: