Unresponsive Finder When Opening WD My Book Drives

Hello. To save some time, here are my specs:

2017 27" Retina 5K iMac
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor
16 GB of memory
3 TB Fusion drive
Graphics card: Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
macOS Mojave 10.4.2

Since I began using this machine less than a week ago, I have encountered a serious Finder issue with two of my three WD My Book external hard drives.

Two of the hard drives are 8 TB, and the third one – which I just installed today – is 10 TB. All three hard drives are connected to a Plugable USB 3.0 7-port hub with recharging, which in turn is connected to my iMac.

After connecting the two 8 TB hard drives to the iMac via the USB hub, the first thing that I noticed is that many of the files and folders which are located on these two hard drives have lost the custom icons which I gave them. There are about 410 files and folders at the top level of each hard drive, with some additional files located inside some of the folders.

However, this is a minor issue, and I can replace all of the lost icons, although I would like to know why the icons are being lost.

The real issue which I find rather aggravating is the fact that each time that I click on one of the desktop icons to open the window for one of these two 8 TB hard drives, after the drive’s window opens on my desktop, I get the notorious beachball, and the Finder becomes totally unresponsive for long periods of time. I can launch and use other apps from the Dock, but the Finder itself becomes totally unresponsive.

This leaves me wondering if there is some kind of incompatibility between the WD My Book hard drives and macOS Mojave.

For the record, prior to this, I was using these same two 8 TB hard drives with an early 2009 24" iMac running El Capitan 10.11.6, and I did not have this problem with the hard drives. That is why I am assuming that the unresponsive Finder issue may possibly be related to Mojave.

BTW, Disk Utility does not report any problems with any of the three WD hard drives.

Likewise, with the WD Drive Utilities app, all three drives pass the “Drive Status Check” and the “Quick Drive Test”. I haven’t bothered to run the “Complete Drive Test” on any of the drives yet; not only because it is more time-consuming, but also because I don’t think there is anything wrong with any of the drives.

Finally, I also downloaded the “WD Firmware Updater” app and verified that all three drives are using the latest version of their firmware.

One other point worth mentioning is the fact that the minute I get the beachball and the stalled Finder, my amount of used memory begins to soar. I have 16 GB of memory on this machine, and this issue is causing 10 to 13 GB of memory to be gobbled up by the unresponsive Finder.

So, again I ask: Is this a Mojave related issue? Is anyone else experiencing it? If so, how can I resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may choose to respond.

This is very sad. I asked this question in December of 2018. It is now August of 2019, and not a single person – not even anyone from the WD staff – has taken the time to answer my questions. Each of these hard drives cost me $300.00. Given that steep price, I would expect at least some level of support here. The same beachballing problem continues to persist at this current time. Anyone?

For the record, just today, I installed the latest version of WD Discovery on my iMac, as well as the latest version of WD Drive Utilities, and I used the latest version of the WD Universal Firmware Updater app to verify that all three drives have the latest firmware, which they do. Likewise, on all three drives, the Drive Status and Quick Drive Test passed in the WD Drive Utilities app. Despite everything appearing okay, as I first reported last December, when I open one of these drives from the icon on my Desktop, the Finder continues to stall for very long periods, and my available memory drops like a rock so that I am left with 1 or 2 GB out of a total of 16. Something is seriously wrong here. Is this possibly some kind of compatibility issue between macOS Mojave and these My Book drives? I really need some clear answers, folks. Thanks!