Unlocking an ATA locked WD Blue - No luck with master password

Hello!

I’m trying to unlock a WD blue, but I don’t have any luck using the master password (WDCWDC… 31 char long string).

I’m certain that something happens on the drive, because after five tries the security counter expires and I have to power cycle the drive.

Has the default master password changed over the years? Every forum post recommends the WDCWDC… string as the master password, and the master password revision code seems to be intact according to hdparm.

Apart from hdparm I’ve also tried numerous Windows and DOS utilities to unlock, but I have not had any success. I used different computers: an X58, a G41, and a really old Atom board as well.

The disk’s manufacturing date is june 2015, and the p/n is WDC_WD10EZEX-00BN5A0

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully an experienced User will be able to assist considering there’s no official WD documentation related to the issue at hand.

On the other hand, this could very well be a defective unit and should be replaced under warranty.

IF THE SSD/HDD IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY THEN ARRANGE AN RMA WITH WD AND SEND IT BACK TO WESTERN DIGITAL

IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY THEN USE THE BELOW SOFTWARE

From what you are saying you have Lock/Brick your HDD but you haven’t actually explained if this is a SSD HDD or a native HDD. If you are talking bout SSD and a HDD then what you are talking about is your SSD is frozen which is basically locked. There is a way around, simple and easy. But you would need to use Linux to unlock the SSD. I have done this may times with this software called Partition Magic. When I first started using SSD HDD is made all kinds of mistakes and locked my SSD HDD. But if you use this software you can unlock your SSD HDD.

I cannot remember if this unlocked native HDD as it has been a very long time since I used this software and the last time I used the software it was Freeware and not paid or subscription. But the prices are reasonable and will not break the bank. If you are familiar with Linux then this will be a walk in the park. If you do not have any Linux experience then it doesn’t matter because I found it very user friendly and easy to use. When I brick/lock my first ever SSD HDD back when they were horrendously expensive, and now they are as cheap as chips. Well depending on the model and manufacturer of the SSD HDD.

WARNING PARTED MAGIC READ ME
Parted Magic is a powerful piece of software that is capable of using to unlock a Bricked, Locked and Frozen SSD HDD but a word of warning… please use at your own discretion. If you do not want to use this software and you feel that you are not comfortable with unlocking your HDD and you would prefer a professional organisation to do this for you, then use them instead. I am, and will not be held accountable for lose of data and/or damage to your HDD. Use this to your own discretion and at your own risk. I am merely assisting you with unlocking your HDD. What actions you take to unlock your HDD is up to you as the owner of the HDD.

Parted Magic is a powerful tool that once you have mastered the concept of using the software. The rest will come to you and you will say to yourself. OMG is it that easy. I would highly recommend looking at the help tips and looking through the help section.

Join the last link together as one I had to separate this because WD forum only allows two links in a topic which is a bit inane.