Understanding Transfer Speeds Of The Drive

I have a Linksys wrt400n router, wireless n capable which has 4 Ethernet ports that are not gigabit ports but 100 Mbps ports. My laptop has a gigabit Ethernet port. My cloud is connected to these Linksys router and (obviously trough the Ethernet cable) and my laptop is connected via Wifi N to the router.

At first I didn´t understand why the transfer speed was 12 MB/sec when backing up my files to my new WD My cloud, I tried with an Ethernet cable from the laptop directly to the router and 12 MB/sec was also my transfer speed. Wireless N is supposed to be 300 Mbps, 3 times my 100 Mbps Ethernet connection but I was getting the same speed, not 3 times faster, so I realized than even tough wifi N was faster than Ethernet cable my router couldn’t upload files faster than what the 100 Mpbs port was able to transfer to the connected WD My cloud.

So I thought, WD drive has USB 3.0, I have a Toshiba USB 3.0 external drive, if I transfers files directly from the Toshiba drive connected to the WD drive I would get real USB 3.0 transfer speed (or at least max drive writing speed that is about 60 MB/sec according to what reviews about the WD drive say). So I tried transferring files from the connected USB 3.0 drive to the WD drive, copy paste trough windows explorer, and sadly my transfer speed was a top 3 MB/sec!. Why if both drives are connected trough USB 3.0 and files shouldn’t have to be transferred to the router (which is limited to 100 Mbps/8= about 12 MB/sec) am I getting this poor transfer speed? Can anyone with more knowledge explain me what’s wrong with my newbie logic?

Other question: is there any possible way of connecting my laptop directly to the WD My cloud using gigabit Ethernet port that both of them have? I mean (of course is possible, just connect the cable) would I be able to transfer all my files (1 TB) at max speed (1000 Mbps/8= 125 MB/sec à 60 MB/sec that is WD My cloud to writing speed)? Is there any program that would let me create a connection of laptop/WD my cloud?

I would appreciate your answers and knowledge

Thanks in advance.

With the USB 3.0 problem I cannot help you since I don’t own the device (yet).

As for the Ethernet problem, you need to be sure you have Gigabit Ethernet NIC (network card) on your notebook / computer. Then you shoud get a crossover cable (cable that is used for direct connection between two devices, without the need of router / switch).

Connect your WD and your notebook / computer with crossover and you should get Gigabit speeds.

You can test network speed via LAN speed test (portable). Please post back the results, as I am very interested in network performance before purchasing the device.

With modern equipment you should not require a crossover cable.

Indeed, he should not, but if he is experiencing troubles (and he is), it could come in handy for troubleshooting and eliminating bad components.

What I meant by that post was that ‘technically’ with modern equipment you should not need a crossover cable you can just use an ordinary cable.

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/lans/2010/092310-crossover-cable.html

zapahacks wrote:

…if I transfers files directly from the Toshiba drive connected to the WD drive I would get real USB 3.0 transfer speed (or at least max drive writing speed that is about 60 MB/sec according to what reviews about the WD drive say). 

No.  Even though the drive is connected to the Cloud via USB, it still requires the use of the network to move the data from the USB disk to the Cloud’s internal disk.   That’s just the way NASes work.   *ALL* NASes work this way when using the client OS to initiate the copy.

As for the Ethernet problem, you need to be sure you have Gigabit Ethernet NIC (network card) on your notebook / computer. Then you shoud get a crossover cable (cable that is used for direct connection between two devices, without the need of router / switch).

Connect your WD and your notebook / computer with crossover and you should get Gigabit speeds.

You can test network speed via LAN speed test (portable). Please post back the results, as I am very interested in network performance before purchasing the device.

Hi, my notebook has a broadcom gigabit ethernet NIC and port, I have to buy the crossover cable and run some tests, I’ll do that during the weekend and I’ll let you know my results. If I was you I would wait the results if they are important to you because I’m not satisfy with WD My Cloud; any way I’ll let you know.

richUK wrote:

With modern equipment you should not require a crossover cable.

It’s because my router’s ports are 100Mbps and not 1000Mbps so I wan’t to try a direct connection from my laptop 1000Mbps ethernet port.

richUK wrote:

What I meant by that post was that ‘technically’ with modern equipment you should not need a crossover cable you can just use an ordinary cable.

Apologies, post misunderstood.

zapahacks wrote:

Hi, my notebook has a broadcom gigabit ethernet NIC and port, I have to buy the crossover cable and run some tests, I’ll do that during the weekend and I’ll let you know my results. If I was you I would wait the results if they are important to you because I’m not satisfy with WD My Cloud; any way I’ll let you know.

Please do that, in my opinion speeds should get better.

Also, when you tried to copy files over Wireless N, did you disconnected the Ethernet cable? Try the LAN test software with your current setup but with only one type of network connection active.

My Cloud with a proper setup provide you an avarage of 45-50 MByte/s (400 mbs) speed in both ways (tested with 30k files, 300GB).

Speed problems come from these :

• Not gigabit capable router

• The ethernet card in your laptop/pc is only 100mbit

• You are not using Cat5E ethernet cable

• You are using WiFi. 802g is maxed at 3-4MB/s, 802n usually maxed at 10-14MB/s

• Someone else is also using your network

damshoe wrote:

richUK wrote:

Apologies, post misunderstood.

zapahacks wrote:

Please do that, in my opinion speeds should get better.

Also, when you tried to copy files over Wireless N, did you disconnected the Ethernet cable? Try the LAN test software with your current setup but with only one type of network connection active.

Yes, it was just connected only using wireless N, 12 MB/sec, but as I said before it is because my linksys router’s port (limited to 100mpbs)

I already did the test, I didn´t need the special cable, the original one that is included with the WD My Cloud works, the connection shows 1 Gigabit, and transfer speed are 42 MB/sec, these is a great speed, but I think it could get better if my laptop have a faster internal drive.

You shoul look at this review  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424976,00.asp, I believe you could get that speed if you have the correct hardware on your pc.

I’ll do the same speed test on a newer pc with better specs and I’ll post if it gets better, for now, 42 MB/sec is a great speed to transfer my 1TB backup, and I’ll be ok with 12 MB/sec using wireless N, at least until next year that wifi ac gets better.