Unbrick MyCloud Once and For All - Lets Make A Clear Tutorial for Everyone!

mdadm --stop /dev/md*
mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
# Type “watch cat /proc/mdstat” and wait 100%. Then - [ctrl] + [c] for close.

1. Use data partition as download folder:
    mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb4 /mnt
    cd /mnt

2. Download one of arhive’s to /mnt folder:

3. Extract by console:
    tar xvfz original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz or 4v

4. Ok. Upload backup images to WD’s hdd:
    dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5
    dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb6
    dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb7
    dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb8
    dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/md0

5. Tell device to Fresh install (Fix for “0 MB usage” in webgui)
    mkdir /mnt/hdd
    mount /dev/md0 /mnt/hdd
    touch /mnt/hdd/etc/.fresh_install
    umount /mnt/hdd

Be patient. It takes about 5 mins before you can upgrade the firmware after boot. when upgrading from v3 to 4 or latest. wget the latest firmware then push it manually from webgui

Not sure why. Some suggestions. If you have access to the My Cloud Dashboard and don’t mind loosing any data on the drive (back it up first), perform a Quick Restore under Dashboard > Settings > Utilities.

If you haven’t done so already make sure the computer you are using to upload the firmware to the My Cloud is connected via Ethernet cable to the local network. Don’t use WiFi to upload the firmware to the My Cloud. As a troubleshooting step use a different Ethernet cable to connect the My Cloud to the router.

Also in the remote chance the router is causing problems with the My Cloud, make sure you don’t have a router model/manufacturer that is mentioned in this WD Knowedgebase article. If you do, the work around is to use a network switch between the My Cloud and the router.

Hmm… Mybe just erase first sectors? (We create partitions later).
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=4828 - This will erase partitions info (MBR/GTP tables), rootfs, swap, kernel and configs, but not user data partition (I think…)

That’s what I’ve started doing. Usually if I zero out the partition 1 and 2 (the RAID partitions) seems to fix the problem most times.

Sorry for the late update! So after countless times flashing the drive I finally thought to my self maybe I am flashing it right and its just the mycloud mini board. I kept unplugging and plugging in the power several times and it finally boot up. What i noticed is the microboard gets very hot around where the central processing chip is. When the board runs for about 15 minutes the drive shuts off. This is why I was having problems updating the firmware and accessing the drive. I applied a small ceramic heat sink the the board processor and rand a fan blowing directly on it and I was finally able to get the thing stable enough to update to the latest firmware.

After several hours I and a few failed attempts later I was able to re-establish user logins to access the mycloud device remotely. I even went out and tested it while I was at work using my cell phone and it was a success.

Unfortunately when I got home I found the drive was back to a solid yellow light and was not working anymore - I could not access it or see it on my network. I unplugged it and went to bed. This morning I plugged it back in and after a few minutes I am back to blue.

I am guessing I have a hardware failure of some kind - possibly the microboard overheating. I will now take my old WD Red drive that I know is at the most updated firmware and do a dd to another hard drive and then see if that solves it. If I am having the same problems then I know its the micro board. If that is the case I can only attempt to either buy a new board or buy a usb fan that will run up under the vent on the bottom of the enclosure powered by the mycloud’s usb port.

I will keep you guys updated! Thanks again for all of the time and help!

UPDATE: The device is still showing a blue light, but I cannot connect to the drive on my network or via mycloud.com. Windows gives the error: the remote device or resource won’t accept the connection. I am starting to lean heavily in the direction of a faulty mini board at fault.

Can you access the My Cloud Dashboard?
http://wdmycloud or http://wdmycloud.local or by the My Cloud IP address

MyCloud.com is the web portal for remote access. You won’t be able to reach a remote My Cloud if Remote Access/Cloud Access is disabled or not properly configured through the My Cloud Dashboard.

I have a MyCloud 4TB running for 3 years (P/N WDBCTL0040HWT-10, should be gen 2) and just found it dead last week. it showed blinking blue light for around 1 minute then turned to steady red. I did reset multiple times and it is still dead. I opened the case (already passed warranty date) and connected the HD (WD red) to a PC. with help of Ext2fsd, I can view the hard drive from my Windows PC. There are 6 logical partitions shown (Drive E, F, G, H, I, J), I found all my data on drive J and I can access them. From what I learned from this from, the unbrick method seems destroy all existing data. Is my understanding right? if yes, is there anyway I can rebuild the system without losing the files. There are about 3TB of data and it is painful to move to another hard drive. Thanks in advance

Hi everyone
I have done everything from the list of Fox-exe and after 3rd approach I did it :slight_smile: WD started, but shows critticall error with diagnosis. Want me to update soft from v.3 to v.4, and I could do that, but storrage shows only 1,5GB free space, despite I have mount WD hard disk 1TB.
How can I repair this free space indicator?

Do a System Only Restore (Dashboard > Settings > Utilities) it typically fixes most errors that are introduced by unbricking. The latest v4.x firmware can be downloaded from the WD.

Single bay My Cloud
https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/126

Firmware Release 04.05.00-353 (11/17/2021)
https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/sq-040500-353-20211104.deb
Release Notes:
https://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WD_My_Cloud_Firmware_Release_Notes_04.05.00-353.pdf

I did system only restore and it didn’t fix the cappacity of drive, still I have 1,5 GB free space :frowning: Any other suggestions?

One option is to remove the hard drive from the My Cloud enclosure. Attach it to a computer running Linux (or Gparted boot disk) and use Gparted to inspect the hard drive and resize the EXT4 data partition (typically partition 4 on the first gen, and the 3rd partition on a second gen) to use the full remaining space. Then put the drive back in the My Cloud enclosure to see if the correct free space is being reported.

I did everything as you wrote before. Linux shows that this ext4 partition is about 995GB. So its ok, but WD MyCloud still see only 1,5GB :frowning:
Maybe I try to prepare again disk and copy v.4 firmaware files. Maybe it helps?