Unable to power on new WDTV live via remote

Hi i just order a WDTV live 2 days ago and recieved it yesterday. I think the machine is briliant in what it does and fell in love with it right away! It just got one big minor. When i turn of the WDTV live via the remote i cannot power it back on! The only way for me to power it back on is to unhook the power cable and than put it back in. This ofcourse is not the way it should be. When i got it i installed the latest firmware right away on the machine itself. I tried downgrading to a earlier firmware thinking its a firmware problem but it hasnt solved it! Also tried factory reset in the menu and a hard reset with a paperclip on the side. Should i send it back and wait for a new one or is there still hope for me?

Hi,

to make sure that there are no external factors that prevent the WDTV from getting alive, try to hook up another USB drive and disconnect the LAN. If that doesn’t help, you should return it. However, this is a very uncommon failure, and I cannot imagine what kind of defect could cause such a strange behaviour.

Remove all leads etc and discs from the unit except the lead to the TV.

Did you reset using the side button with the unit on and fully booted up. Press the button for 1 second and then release, the unit should reboot.

Try also unplugging the unit from the power for say one hour.

If it still does not work then it looks like you may have to return it.

Thanks for thinking with me! I have just unhooked it from the power plug and ill leave it out for 2 hours just to be sure. Before i’ll plug it back in ill try another USB drive and remove the LAN cable. I know its a weird problem i have found someone with a smiliar tough right here:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Doesn-t-turn-on-Brand-new-upgraded-WD-TV-Live/m-p/94218

The “solution” there was marked as returning it. Currently i flashed 1.04.10 instead 1.04.17. Would it be worthwhile flashing a even older firmware version aswell just to be sure?

Bananenspin wrote:

Thanks for thinking with me! I have just unhooked it from the power plug and ill leave it out for 2 hours just to be sure. Before i’ll plug it back in ill try another USB drive and remove the LAN cable. I know its a weird problem i have found someone with a smiliar tough right here:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Doesn-t-turn-on-Brand-new-upgraded-WD-TV-Live/m-p/94218

The “solution” there was marked as returning it. Currently i flashed 1.04.10 instead 1.04.17. Would it be worthwhile flashing a even older firmware version aswell just to be sure?

You could try the rollback you have nothing to lose. Do a reset after you downgrade.

Rollback firmware here

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

Unfortunately despite everything it still wont work. What i did:

1. Got the power adapter off for more than 2 hours before putting it back on.

2. Took the LAN cable out so it was just the power adapter and hdmi cable in the WDTV live.

3. Went back even further with the firmware to version 1_3_49

4. In the device its menu did a factory reset

5. Wait for it to turn on again and did a hard reset with a paperclip

But no luck! I even tried the following:

Different tv

Different HDMI cable on that other TV

Putting back the UK power adapter on it (im from Holland we have a different layout, the first timed i noticed the sound of power “leaking” and saw some sparks) and use a transformer on it wich i had thanks to my Xbox 360 wich was from the UK. 

Upgrading again to the latest version

Changing battery’s in the remote controle

I cant think of anything else to do anymore… The webshop where i bought it suggested to call the local WD company here in Holland so i’ll do that tomorrow in the afternoon when i get home. But it seems it really has to go back…

edit: I know there is an alternative firmware out there, should i try flashing that? Is it still easy to go back to stock?