Unable to add device despite logged in as the owner

Background: ever since the desktop app support has been discontinued. Accessing my data in mycloud has been a hassle via my laptop.

I followed the steps mentioned by WD was able to successfully add my cloud device as a network device on my laptop and was access my files.

Current Issue
Recently I noticed that i could no longer access my files from my laptop. The my cloud app was working fine.
I contact live support chat and was advised to clear the device settings and try again. I did that. Now when i try to re attach the device to my laptop, it keeps prompting me to get permission by the owner, despite me being the owner and logged in as the owner. Same thing happened with my mobile app, it is not allowing to connect to my device.

This is a serious bug that needs immediate investigation and reslolution, all my critical data is on my cloud device which i can no longer see!

Hope someone can help.

I suggest you continue seeking support from WDT support, including filing a support ticket.

The resulting description above is inconsistent with a ‘Clear Device Setting’ which does not reset the ownership of the My Cloud Home:

However, the owner is still required to log into the webapp (browser) with two factor authentication after the ‘Clear Device setting’. Usually the browser needs to be Chrome or MS Edge in order for Google or MS tracking cookies to identify the owner of the device.

Important points to remember:

• Do not confuse ‘Clear Device Setting’ with ‘Physical Pin reset’
  • Clear Device Setting does not change ownership, but sometimes Pin reset could change ownership.

Clear Device Settings will reset:

• Local Access toggle switch (Default = Off)
  • Local network User Name(s) (Default = not configured)
  • Local network Password(s) (Default = not configured)
  • Database values (Default = new)
    Indexing may take from a few hours up to a few days or more to complete.

STOP Critical:

The process is Not Data Destructive and will not impact data on the drive.

In the process to gain access to my data, I detached the device from my laptop. There was NO prompt of data loss whatsoever but the WD support is telling me that detaching the device deletes the data. As silly as it sounds, WD cloud actually deleted my data and my user because of the detaching the device. I don’t know why WD has this horrible configuration in the first place.

In any case, my user is deleted. It was the admin user. Now i need to find which user is the next admin user. Is there any way to find out? I want to use the admin user to try and recover my lost data. I tried logging in with the other user accounts but none of them were admin users.

It has been a few months, but initially you did not directly state that you had detached the My Cloud Home, although after re-reading the initial post, it appeared that you did because you were trying to attach it back.

When you detached a device with the My Cloud Home, it is a data destructive process as stated in the Knowledge base as well as a warning on screen in the webapp.

My Cloud Home: Remove Device from MyCloud.com Account

STOP Critical:

Performing a DETACH FROM THIS DEVICE on a My Cloud Home or Duo is DATA DESTRUCTIVE.

This process cannot be UNDONE and requires the My Cloud Home to be connected to the internet and be able to communicate to the My Cloud Home servers. Failure to have the unit connected to the Internet and in communication with My Cloud Home servers will result in a failed detachement.

1. Go to https://home.mycloud.com

2. Click Sign In using your Western Digital Account.

3.IMPORTANT:*
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) verification is required when accessing from a new device for the first time or when required. If not prompted for the (2FA) verification code, Continue to Step 6.

That is true because at that time of writing the post I didn’t detach the device.

Nevertheless, my point was that there was no warning as mentioned in the above article.