Unable to add AlbumArt on music added to WDMyCloud

I am using :

Toshiba PC running windows 7

Itunes 12.3.1.23 64 bit

WDMyCloud NAS Drive

In Itunes I am loading music from CD’s using the PC CD Drive.

Itunes is set to find Album Art automatically as I load.

1. Open Itunes

2. Under File there is an icon like a house with a musical note in it.

3. If I click this I get two options

• This computer

• WD My Cloud

1. I select WD My Cloud

2. Insert CD

3. Itunes asks whether I want to load to my library I say yes

4. The CD is imported to my library

5. On completion The House Icon returns to my pc

6. The album appears both in recently added and all albums

7. There is artwork at two levels

• If I right click on the album, get info, edit items and change to Artwork tab the artwork is there

• If I right click on a track and go to Artwork tab there is artwork

1. If I change the house icon to WDMyCloud the album does not have artwork, nor any track

2. If I right click on the album there is no get info

3. If I right click on a track, get info, Artwork tab, Paste the artwork, it pastes, I say ok

4. I right click again on the track and there is no artwork

Any ideas ?

iTunes at times is a poor media file metadata tagger. Instead use a free metadata tagging program like MP3Tag or MediaMonkey to add metadata, including album artwork, to one’s media files before importing the media into iTunes.

I agree however, I have added 200 albums. Why would I not be able to add using iTunes on the WDMyCloud ? How do I check that the permissions are ok etc

The “iTunes Server” on the My Cloud is not, as I understand it, a full fledged iTunes program that will do full fledged cataloging, tagging, embedding artwork etc. It is apparently, again as I understand it, nothing more than a basic media server that responds to clients that use the Apple’s DAAP (Digital Audio Access Protocol).

Normally one would use iTunes on their PC or Mac to populate the artwork and media tags for any content they add to their iTunes library. One can move (or copy) their computer’s iTunes library to the WD My Cloud if they so desire.

Apple support has a document explaining how to move/copy one’s iTunes library:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201625

OK.

I feel this is more an issue on access rights.
If I go to Windows Media Player (on The WDMyCloud) and use the prescribed method to add Album Artwork. When I right click on the album there is no paste album art.

Also if I go to Windows Explorer and right click on a song on the WDMyCloud. The security shows Read and execute and Read.

Therefore it seems to be rights causing the problem ?

No its not an access rights problem. Try adding the WD My Cloud “Share” containing the music albums to the Windows Media Player library. Then you can add album art to the folder/share. Use the Manage Libraries option within Windows Media Player.

If you see the WD My Cloud listed as a Library, like in the image below, the Windows Media Player connects to the WD My Cloud via DLNA and access its contents. When it does so one cannot change the file data. That’s why you have to use the Manage Libraries option to include the actual Share into the Library so Windows Media Player will manage and edit the media files.

Yea, the problem rests with iTunes, most likely. I have used iTunes since 2005 to add my CD collection to it, as well as since 2006, I have been a member of eMusic download service. When I play my music collection on most any device (e.g. WD Media Player or even the PC using Windows Media Player,) artwork for CDs is not there and Artwork for eMusic downloads is there.

I figured out that the artwork from eMusic is embedded in each file, and iTunes has it embedded in the iTunes program, so it, and Apple devices see it, but other devices/programs don’t.

My solution, is to take the artwork iTunes grabs from their server, and save it to a file. Then using Get Info on all the files in iTunes for an album and paste the same artwork into all the files in iTunes. Works like a charm. I just had to do this for a new CD I added the other day. In cases where Apple does not have the artwork, I just either go to Amazon and get their artwork, or if I have to, Google images and paste them into iTunes. In some cases I have gone back into iTunes and “corrected” some missing artwork for favorite CD albums, but in most cases; I just ferget it!

I have to agree iTune sux, installed 4 times and uninstalled 4 times, my partner still insists on iTune but only 10.7 version. For me I use MusicBraiz Picard first then MediaMonkey. Both will embedded the Art into the songs. Some will recommend JRiver. We have 60,000 songs to sort out since we took over a DJ Pub. Frankly not an easy task, it has been 10 weeks and we are only 20% there.

I do not sort out Music Artist, Album and Title rather Artist and Title only so I do not get duplicates.
The Music Album are sorted by Year instead, from the early 40s to 21K. MediaMonkey can sort out the Genre from there. However I used Virtual DJ to play the music and it comes out better than iTune.

I assume you’re using MediaMonkey’s auto-organise function, if you’re trying to undo the mess that is an iTunes library folder structure?

I maintain the source CD organisation for the physical store, and then use the various metadata views, depending on what I’m trying to do. Either the side bar metadata views, or the various columns in the library detail view window.

MM’s Auto-DJ is the one feature I really miss when using DLNA access.

Hi,

I avoid the auto-organise function, reason every time MM launch it scan the whole library, 60,000 songs will take forever. So I do by batches, once the year of the song sorted out, I will manually copy to the right folder and that will let me know if I have duplicates.

In the folder by decade, I can sort, Artist, Album or genre. So to me there is not reason to create an Album folder. Creating Playlist, I rather use Virtual DJ. Our customers song request are created in a folder. Some customer even asked us to make a copy of all their requested songs.

So VDJ has been a wonderful tool to create Playlist and using with DLNA is even better

I avoid the auto-organise function, reason every time MM launch it scan the whole library, 60,000 songs will take forever.

No, not the continuous/startup auto-organise; the manual version.

There’s a right-click option on selected files, that will move files into directories based on the metadata. There’s a sophisticated path/filename construction system using metadata tags you specify, and any fixed elements you want to put in the path name.

To move selected files to a path E:\Media\Album Artist\Album/01 Track.ext

you would use the construction string:

E:\Media&lt;Album Artist>&lt;Album>&lt;Track#:2> <Track>

where the items in <brackets> are selected metadata tag names used by MM.

It will show you where it is moving files from and to, and you can reject any that are wrong. If you change the construction string, it will show the changing effect.

It’s the reverse of the ‘Auto-Tag from Filename’ tool, which uses the same tags, and a sophisticated filename parser to extract metadata from the path and filename.

It’s the tool you can use to undo iTunes/iThing file obfuscation, and pull music off an iThing into a sensible folder structure.

So to me there is not reason to create an Album folder.

MediaMonkey, like most decent media library managers, understands the concept of physical and logical views of the library.

I keep all my music in folders, one per CD. This means, should I ever need to re-rip it, it’s easy to find. This is a physical, or location-based view of the library (as it appears under the ‘Location’ browser in MM).

Using metadata, you can create any number of alternative logical views of the library, sorted by whatever metadata tags you want (there are lots to choose from in MM). These are presented by MM as the ‘Artist’, ‘Album’, ‘Genre’ etc views.

If you select the ‘All’ view in either Location or Metadata views, you can use the Detail (track list, rather than artwork) view and sort your music by any of the metadata tags the tracks contain. This allows you to do your playlist selection based on whatever metadata category it is you want for that playlist, be it Genre, Artist, Year, Composer, Contributing Artist, Last Played, Number of Plays, etc. etc. Just right-click on the header banner, and add the columns you want to select with.

The advantage of MM’s auto-organise function is that you can re-arrange the music physical locations however you like. PROVIDED YOUR METADATA IS CORRECT…