Unable to access MyBookLive - bricked? Please help!

Dear WD community heroes,

(First of all excuse my English - as a none-native speaker I hope that I still will manage to describe my problem without making too much a fool about myself…)

I have been using my MBL for the last number of years without any problems. Since a couple of days however it is stuck, white light always on (except for a few seconds if I turn off power supply - light is then blue for a short while before switching back to white) and I can no longer access it. (from the manual on-line I understand that this is pretty bad…)

My MBL shows up among the devices that are connected to my home computer, but it does no longer appear as a separate drive and I am unable to access (or store) ny material on it. I have tried turning of power but this does not help. Would reseting it help (and not delete the files that I have stored on it?)

As I have several years of family photos, films… on the device this is a bit of a disaster for me! (Even more so when my wife finds out…)

I have no deeper it knowledge so I feel a bit lost reading older posts about how to debrick the device (what does it mean that a device is ‘bricked’? How do I know that this is the case here?) I do not really understand what I need to debrick - another computer? How do I figure out what version of MBL I have (it seems as this is a prerequisite before debricking)?

With other words… I am in deep need of help that a simple end-user like my self would be able to understand. Is this something that I should even attempt doing on my own?

If there is anybody out there that could help? It would make life so much easier for this devasted Swedish soul…

Thank you in advance!

Check manual to see what different colors LED mean. If you do not believe you have any of those issues then…

• Attempt to get a green LED. If you cannot and the device cannot be found (see below), you will need to unbrick it. Hopefully it is an OS issue and not a hardware

I do not use any of the WD software, so here is what works for me:

• internet browser for dashboard access (http://my-devce-ip)
  • Windows File Explorer for accessing or map the share: \\my-devce-ip\
  • OS x Finder for accessing the share: Finder > Go > Connect to Server > smb://my-device-ip

You can also try it replacing my-device-ip by the name of the device.

Also check your router’s DHCP lease/client list/table to see if it is getting an IP. Refer to your router’s manual

If the above steps doesn’t work for you remove the hard disk and connect it to your PC. Follow ONLY the steps 1 and 2 from here: [GUIDE] How to unbrick a totally dead MBL