Unable to access my cloud from my pc when public sharing is turned off

Hi guys

I want to set my security features that all my stuff in my personal folder is read only, and that no one can add or remove from it. (only stream my movies or music) As soon as I set my folder to public access off, my pc that is connected to the router (where my cloud is connected to) says access denied… when i change it to on - it can access it again…

This is a pain in the … cuz all my downloads will stop when turned off, and say unable to access drive…

PLS PLS HELP!!!

Of course when you turn off public only the assigned users will have acess.

There are two parts to private.

1. Users. You have to create a user
  2. Shares. This is what you just turned off from public to private

Under users click on a user to assign them shares.
Under shares click on a share to assign it users

Hi Ralphael

Do I need to create a user even for my local Pc connected to the router? I thought that it was only for remote access???

I have mapped my folder and added a shortcut on my desktop.

I am not connecting via the internet - I am connecting directly from PC-ethernet cable-router , and the mycloud is plugged in to the same router??? So I am slightly confused why i need to do this?

You have just decided to lock the doors to the public library. Who is holding the keys? who is going to be able to have access?

So the answer is yes you will need to create a user even for local PC connection because you have just locked it. 

No key, no access.

How would i the create a user account for my local pc, that i dont need to sign in via internet every time? I.e. I want to access my mapped network drive from my PC by clicking the desktop shortcut? not via a browser etc…

Thanks for all the help! :slight_smile:

so once you have created a user on the MyCloud and gave that user access to a Share, so lets call this user “wazzer84”.

“wazzer84” has been set up to access the MyLibrary share that was once public and has been turned into a private library just for “wazzer84” alone.

On the PC, 

1, click on computer

1. click on map network drive

2. click on browse under “what network folder would you like to map”

3. click on WDMYCLOUD and select your share name

4. MyLibrary has a userid of “wazzer84” and password of “password”

5. click ok and click finish

6. you can now see the NAS as a mapped drive in your Computer (treat it just like a local drive).

hey man, still not working - cant assign password to a folder - only a user… as soon as i switch public sharing off i cant connect to the mapped network drive… This means if i put it on - I + anyone on my network can access my stuff - dunno what im doing wrong :frowning: been trying all sorts of combinations and nada

Correct, you can give a user, no access, read only, or read and write to a share.

You need to check out the User Manual to find out what you can and can’t do.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

How many devices do you have on your network? How many Users?

Problem solved - I had to right click disconnect drive, remap  and then log in with the exact credentials as on the mycloud. I.e log in as another user from my pc.

Which means even if you are the administrator on your network - when public sharing is off, you cant access your drive - A bit of a hassle, but works now - Would have been nice if WD mentioned this in their learning centre. Thanks for all the input!

wazzer84 wrote:

Problem solved - I had to right click disconnect drive, remap  and then log in with the exact credentials as on the mycloud. I.e log in as another user from my pc.

Which means even if you are the administrator on your network - when public sharing is off, you cant access your drive - A bit of a hassle, but works now - Would have been nice if WD mentioned this in their learning centre. Thanks for all the input!

What exactly do you write in user/passwd fields

I tried all I can think of :

I tried

user: WORKGROUP\mycloud_USERNAME

passw: mycloud_password

I tried

user: mycloud_USERNAME

passw: mycloud_password

I tried

user: WORKGROUP\PC_USERNAME

passw: PC_password

I tried

user: PC_USERNAME

passw: PC_password

All of them fails :frowning:

/Peter

The username is \yourcloudname\yourNASusername

if that doesn’t work, it is most likely because you have accessed a share of the cloud without credentials (that works when the username and password you set up on the NAS happens to be the same as on the PC, or you have accessed the public share (as a guest).

You see, in a single Windows session, you can use only one set of credentials to access any share of the same networked computer.

Go to user accounts and family safety, visit the windos credential manager and delete any sorted credential there. Then prevent the startup of any software on reboot that might need to access the NAS (security or backup). 

Then, on, enter this command in a command prompt window : net use * /delete

this command will terminate any mapped share.

reboot the computer.

I think, I solved this. I had same issue.

You have several mycloud_USERNAMEs. Say they are mycloud_USERNAME1, mycloud_USERNAME2.

When you log in from web ( https://www.wd2go.com/) you log using email ID. Each one will have equivalent user ID.

On My cloud dashboard, on tab ‘Users’ or ‘Cloud Access’, you will see all user IDs. One of them is having admin rights and it is mostly first in the list marked with small green check mark. Suppose it is mycloud_USERNAME1 and it’s password you set is password1.

When you want yo access as you mentioned put user ID mycloud_USERNAME1 and leave password as blank. Don’t put password as password1. It is only for accessing from web.

The manual on page 56/126 have below info.

"

As the WD My Cloud device owner (admin), you have a special user account (admin) that gives you administrative privileges. These privileges enable you to set up and configure the device to your specific needs, as well as give other people access to your personal cloud. You have the power to determine exactly what other users can access. As a default, the admin user name does not have a password. You can add one at any time."

This finally worked for me after giving several trials like you.