Ultrastar He10 compatibility with Desktop PC Systems

I was interested in purchasing an Ultrastar He10 8TB 3.5-inch Helium Platform Enterprise Hard Drive for my desktop PC running Windows 7 and wanted to know if this drive was compatible? I see it’s rated as an Enterprise Drive so wasn’t sure of the drawbacks of that kind of setup since I wouldn’t be in an enterprise environment. The spec sheet didn’t mention it was rated to be used with Windows 7 so I wanted to check. I’ll be using this primarily for storage and light file work.

I was particularly interested in the HGST HUH728080ALE600 3.5" 8TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K RPM 128M 512E ISE HDD. I will be going directly through SATA III on the internal board without a RAID configuration. Just standard plug 'n play setup.

Thanks in advance!

DP

I had the dilemma which I will buy HGST Ultrastar 8TB or WD Gold 8TB ?.
Finally I decided to buy WD Gold WD8003FRYZ 2weeks ago cause I think WD is more reliable than HGST and I partitioned to 4 parts of 2 TB each NTFS , these are working very fast .
I was using WD Caviar Black 1001FALS and 1002FAEX more than 10 years with no problems
and I trust WD brand

At now WD = HGST. This official replacement model series WD8003FRYZ-01xxxxx (8TB 512e) —–> HUS728T8TALE6L4 (8TB 512e) p/n 0B36404.
Not any different between WD Gold 8 Tb. and HGST 8 Tb. This is one to one hard drives.

If I am to understand, the question was “will the HGST 8tb. drive work in a desktop PC” and just like 99% of these sites no one ever just gives a straight answer. Everyone has to beat around the bush and chase rabbits. I wish someone at HGST which is now Western Digital would get off of their back side and give a straight answer.
I too would like some answers and when I call tech support I get some ■■■■■ that calls himself a tech and reads from a screen what to tell you. It’s ■■■■.
I just purchased 2 WD DC HC510 also known as the Ultrastar He10 10Tb. dirves and they don’t read correctly. Trying to get the problem solved has been impossible. They are 10Tb. drives that in the system BIOS read as 1250.1 Gb. drives and in any other software they read as 4.65 Tb. drives but nothing will touch them. Windows File Explorer does not see the drives. Disk Manager sees them but won’t do anything with them. I have tried several different kinds of partition software and they won’t do anything but see the drives as 4.65Tb. drives and won’t format, partition or even erase them. My understanding is these 2 drives came out of a RAID Box. Is it possible that they have a Digital RAID Security Signature or format on them that is preventing me from doing anything with them? I just want to get them going.
The drives are (( HGST Ultrastar He10 HUH721010ALN600 0F27502 10TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6Gb/s with “Advanced 4Kn Format” )) . Please, if you know how to fix my problem help. But if you just want to give your 2 cents worth and give me your life story, save it for another day. If I seem rude I am sorry but I’ll bet I’m not the only one that feels that way. Also, you might help the first guy in this string. "Is an Ultrastar He10 8TB 3.5-inch Helium Platform Enterprise Hard Drive plug and play compatible with his Windows 7 Desktop system? " No one cares if they are the same drive as the WD as that was not the question. Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Hey,

Were you able to resolve this problem ? I got 3 WD DC HC510 8TB SATA drives which we planned to be used in our workstations/desktops (X470 boards) and none of our systems are detecting the drives at all (BIOS/OS).
I was trying to find any sort of compatibility or requirement information but no luck…

I also tried to open a new support ticket,but Im getting blocked by the “Please enter a valid phone number” message - tried maybe 10 variants of my real phone number, but no success.

Thank you

Yes, I was actually! Nobody replied here a year ago, so I took my chances and bought the Ultrastar He10 8TB 3.5-inch Helium Platform Enterprise Hard Drive anyway off Amazon and mounted it in my desktop system and it works perfectly. I’m close to maxing it out with media, so will purchase a NAS with two of the same drives here soon and will leave the original 8TB in my desktop system. Never experienced any data loss or any other issues so far (knock on wood). It was a little “clicky” at first but don’t really notice it anymore.

I have an older HP desktop from 2012 so not sure why your system isn’t seeing the drives? I can’t say I ever had issue with BIOS detecting the drive. Perhaps make sure the BIOS is up-to-date? Did you try different SATA cables? Different ports on the motherboard? Try disconnecting any SATA optical drives and use that port temporarily to see if it sees the drive. Not sure if SATA ports can be disabled in BIOS, so also check for that? Perhaps check your power supply to see if there aren’t any issues there. Exceeding voltage quota, etc.

When I installed my drive, I did do a complete hard drive overhaul. Swapped out the original primary drive for a Samsung 250GB Solid State Drive, set the Ultrastar He10 8TB as a backup internal data drive, moved the original Hitachi 2TB HDD that came with the system as internal scratch drive and then did a clean reinstall of Window7. I experienced really slow boot times at first, but things seemed to resolve after I reformatted the original 2TB drive inside Win7 after boot. Go figure. Not sure what that was all about but it did have me scratching my head for a while. Guess it didn’t like the partition table. I was really surprised that Win7 SP1 saw the entire 8TB drive by default because I had read that it would only detect 2TB at first and you had to tweak something.

Interested to see how things turn out for you!

DJ

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunatelly that is not my case. I tested the drives on 2 AMD boards,1 x470 and a B450 - both are having the same issue - drive not detected. On the same power supply and cable (which I am confident are fine) I was running a 8TB WD RED without any issues on the affected systems.
HW and system configuration of the systems are all ok,BIOS versions are up2date.
I will give it 1 more try to get them working on an Intel based system but if it wont work out I will just return them and go for the WD RED PROs probably.

Just installed a HGST - WD Ultrastar DC HC520 for PC-Win10

Read right away in BIOS, but I needed to go into Disk Management to create a new volume and partition for it.

So, yes. It’s compatible.

I just want to leave the answer here also, as its got answered on other reddist etc. But im supprised thats not answere HERE. So i laso cant not detect HC510 on any computer UNTILL i used MOLEX 4 pin power supplys end, connected it to molex4 to sata adapter, i got with some desktop montherboard. its meams those datacenter hdds wont run with standard sata power supply ending, but will work just fine with the sam power supply, but with molex4-pin with converter!

1 Like

Power Disable Feature (SATA 3.2+ / 3.3):
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2094

http://web.archive.org/web/20161121170759/https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/HGST-Power-Disable-Pin-TB.pdf

The 10TB drive that was being reported as 1250GB by the BIOS is in fact a 4Kn model. This means its logical sector size is 4KB rather than 512B, ie a factor of 8. The drive reports its total number of sectors to BIOS, but BIOS thinks that the sector size is 512B, so it calculates the capacity as 10TB / 8 = 1250GB.

1 Like

I just bought a new WD DC HC310 6tb and it is not detected in the BIOS. I tried it with both the SATA and molex power cables but alas it does not show up in BIOS or windows.

Weird thing is, after any change to BIOS, it does become visible on Windows 10 in DISKPART/diskmgmt.msc but it requires to be set GPT, when I try to do so, it gives an I/O error.

Utterly frustrated with this behavior.

sounds like you are running your system in legacy mode. need to be running in uefi mode, which will require you to reinstall your os. also then gpt will be enabled.

you are currently running mbr witch has a limitation.

I don’t know if anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore but I was having the same issue and I FINALLY figured out what was my issue. The enterprise drive have the Power Disable Feature so the drive kept cycling the “power off” signal (to my understanding). I solved it by using a SATA adapter that I already happened to have and voila the drive was showing up.

I figured this out by following this video: How to Fix the 3.3V Pin Issue in White Label Disks Shucked from Western Digital 8TB Easystore Drives - YouTube

Even if someone isn’t paying attention to this anymore, I hope my solution helps someone else out there!

The ultrastar HE10 8TB 3.5 inch Helium platform Enterprise Hard drive, such as the HGST HUH728080ALE600 model you mentioned, should be compatible with your desktop PC running Windows 7. Enterprise drives are designed for High performance and reliability, often used in mep estimation enterprise environments, but they can also be used in non enterprise setups like personal desktop PCs. The lack of windows 7 compatibility mentioned in the spec sheet is likely due to the fact that window 7 is an order operating system, and newer drives often prioritize compatibility the more recent operating systems. Regards

The Ultrastar He10 8TB 3.5-inch Helium Platform Enterprise Hard Drive, such as the HGST HUH728080ALE600 model you mentioned, should be compatible with your desktop PC running Windows 7. While it is rated as an enterprise drive, there shouldn’t be any significant drawbacks for using it in a non-enterprise environment. As long as you connect it directly through SATA III without a RAID configuration, it should work as a standard plug 'n play setup. Just ensure that your Soldering power supply and internal connections support the drive’s requirements. Good luck with your storage and file work!

The Ultrastar He10 hard drive is generally compatible with desktop PC systems that support SATA or SAS interfaces. It is essential to ensure that your PC’s motherboard and storage controller support the drive’s interface (SATA or SAS) and capacity (10TB). Most modern desktop systems should have no issues accommodating the Ultrastar He10, offering high-capacity storage suitable for various applications, such as data storage, multimedia, and gaming. Before purchasing the drive, verify your PC’s specifications and bling bling club barcelona consult the drive’s manufacturer for any specific compatibility requirements or recommendations.

The Ultrastar He10 is a high-capacity, helium-filled hard drive designed for data center and enterprise storage applications. While it can technically be used with desktop PC systems, there are some considerations to keep in mind regarding its compatibility:

1. Form Factor: The Ultrastar He10 hard drive typically comes in a 3.5-inch form factor. Most desktop PC cases are designed to accommodate 3.5-inch drives, so physically fitting the drive should not be an issue.
  2. Power Requirements: Enterprise-grade hard drives like the Ultrastar He10 might have higher power requirements compared to consumer-grade drives. Ensure that your desktop PC’s power supply can handle the power demands of the drive.
  3. Interface: The Ultrastar He10 is available with both SATA and SAS interfaces. Make sure that the drive you choose has a compatible interface with your desktop PC’s motherboard. Most desktop PCs use SATA interfaces for hard drives.
  4. Cooling and Airflow: Enterprise drives are often optimized for data center environments with efficient cooling systems. In a desktop PC, make sure that the case has adequate airflow and cooling to keep the drive operating within its recommended temperature range.
  5. Usage Considerations: The Ultrastar He10 is designed for high-performance and continuous operation. If you’re using it in a desktop PC, be aware that its performance might be overkill for standard consumer tasks, and there might be more cost-effective options available.
  6. Warranty and Support: Enterprise drives usually come with longer warranties and specialized support, which might be different from consumer drives. Check the warranty and support terms for the Ultrastar He10 in a desktop PC environment.

Overall, the cold cuts Thailand Ultrastar He10 can be used in a desktop PC system, but it’s essential to ensure its compatibility with your specific setup and consider whether it aligns with your performance and storage needs. For most consumer use cases, there are more budget-friendly and consumer-focused hard drives available that can offer excellent performance and reliability.

Appreciate all the responses, but I posted this question 5 1/2 years ago! :joy: Responses from WD would have helped back then. Regardless, I did end up buying the drive shortly after I posted this question and it’s been working flawlessly in my 10-year-old desktop PC since.

Thank you all for the responses.

Hi DP,

The HGST Ultrastar He10 8TB drive you’re looking at should be compatible with your desktop PC running Windows 7. Even though it’s labeled as an enterprise drive, it should work for your storage and light file work needs. SATA III connectivity for a standard plug-and-play setup sounds like it should work well. While the spec sheet might not mention Windows 7 explicitly, it should generally be compatible with desktop operating systems. Always ensure your motherboard and system support the drive’s capacity and connections. Good luck with your setup!

The Ultrastar He10, a high-capacity helium-filled hard drive designed for enterprise applications Call Bombers, may not be the most suitable choice for typical desktop PC systems. While it offers exceptional storage capacity and reliability, certain factors limit its compatibility with standard desktop configurations.

Firstly, Ultrastar He10 drives often utilize a 3.5-inch form factor, which may not be compatible with smaller desktop cases designed for 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch drives. Additionally, enterprise-class hard drives like the He10 may have specific power requirements or be optimized for continuous operation, which could lead to suboptimal performance or overheating in a desktop environment where power consumption and usage patterns differ.

Furthermore, desktop systems may lack the advanced RAID and error recovery features that the Ultrastar He10 is designed to work with in enterprise settings. While the drive could physically connect to a desktop system using standard SATA or SAS interfaces, its performance and capabilities may not be fully realized in this context.

In summary, while the Ultrastar He10 is a robust and reliable storage solution, its compatibility with desktop PC systems may be limited by factors such as form factor, power requirements, and enterprise-oriented features that might not align with typical desktop usage scenarios.