Ultrastar DC HC530-

WD Ultrastar DC HC530 (WUH721414ALE6L4) SATA Enterprise HDD 7200 RPM, 14 TB will not power up from interanl SATA Power inside the PC, but will power up from and external hdd enclosure. (tested on two PC and multiple SATA power cables) Is this a fault in with the card or was this always an external HDD with a biger power draw?

Rather lengthy but I found this in an Amazon Questions about this drive…

Question:

Can wd ultrastar be used in thinkstation. i heard hgst enterprise drive is incompatible for home desktop, and need to fix the 3.3v pin problem

Answer:

3.3v pin problem can be fixed by using a Molex-to-SATA power adapter, here: https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3-Pack-Molex-Power/dp/B00STNUB04/ref=sr_1_3?crid=345P4SZAA2LNW&keywords=molex+to+sata&qid=1562983596&s=gateway&sprefix=molex+t%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-3 But not all Ultrastar have that feature. Look at the model number. If the next-to-last character is L, you’re fine without an adapter; if it’s 0, you’ll need one. However, just because you can make the drive work in a desktop doesn’t make it the best choice for that application. These are datacenter devices, optimized for datacenter operation, and somewhat noisier than desktop drives.

By J. Jerome on July 13, 2019

I believe that another response claimed that NONE of the purchases made on Amazon for the WD drive will be covered by Western Digital’s manufacturer warranty - that all options are through marketplace sellers with no WD warranty. I don’t believe that is entirely true, although there are such resellers.
By GuitarLix on February 18, 2021

***Be sure to buy the SATA version for a desktop. The SAS version is for enterprise servers and will not work directly in a PC. Both STA and SAS drives can be called an enterprise drives. Enterprise drives simply means a higher quality drive with additional technology. I’ve been buying enterprise drives for my PC’s as long as they’ve been available. They have longer warranties, anti-vibration technology making them less prone to vibration damage, which can be caused simply by having multiple drives in your PC. My PC’s contain 7-11 drives, so this is important. I’ve had many consumer drives fail, but never had an enterprise quality drive fail. I have a striped RAID array in my security camera PC using 3 10,000rpm Seagate Barracuda drives. They’ve been running 24/7/365 for more than ten years The WD Gold drives and these Ultrastar drives that replaced them are the best drives you can get for a PC for ANY application. These drives are super efficient like the WD Green, faster than the WD Black drives, and more reliable than the WD Purple drives. I have a few of these and they run cool even when very heavily utilized for hours. ***
By Arjuna on July 28, 2019

The Western Digital Ultrastars only have the 3.3v issue for the 10TB and 12TB models, all other models do not have this issue, including the latest released WUH721414ALE6L4 14TB model, see the “L” at the end? That is an indication that there is no 3.3v issue.
By Alan C. on March 24, 2020

This version worked fine in my old desktop. Go to WD on how to read the ID numbers, very confusing but worth it.
By Razor on May 19, 2019

Thank you I will try using a molex adapter. It was for a Family data storgae so the noise of the thing was never a problem and the price was too good

I attached a Molex to SATA power addapter on Molex lead from the PSU and that powred the HDD in my PC so al is good. Thank you

1 Like