i’m little confused.
yesterday i got TWO WD20EARS disks from local retail store. before any usage i ran crystaldiskinfo (v3.9.3) and data lifeguard (DLGDIAG for Windows v1.22).
ON BOTH DISKS crystaldiskinfo gives no error in s.m.a.r.t. test:
in data lifeguard i got successful quick test, but extended tests ended with error code “08-” .
from wd knowledge base " Diagnostic Error Codes" i can’t find description for the error code (on lifeguard feedback window, there were description: “Test found bad sectors that may be repairable.”) .
i think that this may also be relevant information:
* BOTH drives gave same errors (pictures from second drive test)
* on second drive (first drive test reached end when i was sleeping) before the end of the extended test, the countdown clock reached 00:00:00 but timer goes on and on for about 5 minutes or so and i heard weird sound from disk (something like slow spin up, quick spin down cycles in every, say, 10 seconds) quite quietly rather like whisper
* i haven’t formatted nor partitioned the drives
* i’m using external docking station (akasa “duodock” akasa ak-ic008) via motherboard onboard esata port (jmicron jmb36x controller)
* master os is windows xp sp3+
* pins 7 and 8 have been jumpered
* all current used for power computer and peripherials are protected with active ups (apc smart-ups)
so, what’s up? is it normal and i shouldn’t worry at all (bad sectors on both brand new drives ) or what i should do next?
for good feedback and advices thanx in advance