Turning off WDTV Live while using Sling Player pauses cable box

Last night I set up a brand new WDTV Live with my kitchen TV. The firmware was updated to the latest and I’m very happy that Sling Player works very well. Since this is in my kitchen, I’m most interested in the Sling Player over the other features of the WDTV Live.  I basically want to treat it as a normal  “live” TV.

I have HDMI CEC “on” so that the WDTV Live remote also powers the TV on/off automatically. That works nicely. The simpler, the better! I have a Logitech Harmony 200 on order to eliminate having two remotes in the kitchen.

However, if I am using the Sling Player and decide to turn it off (using the power button on the WDTV Live remote), it sends a “stop” command to the cable box which effectively pauses the cable box from which I’m streaming. Then I hear a “what did you do?!” from my wife in the other room who was watching the main TV (with the cable box). 

My questions are:

• Why does it have to send a “stop” command to the cable box when I shut the WDTV off?
  • Can’t it just disconnect from the Slingbox like the iPhone and iPad apps do? It’s slightly annoying to have to “unpause” the cable box in another room after I shut the WDTV Live off.
  • Is there a way I can prevent this from happening? 
  • Can I suggest that this is changed in a firmware update? If so, where can I direct my request? 

I suppose I can work it with a macro once my universal remote comes in, but are there any other ideas? Thank you!

Weird, haven’t seen that one before. Verify if you have the latest firmware installed for the WDTV and then try again. Check the link below for the steps. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5749/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1NDc0NTIwNy9zaWQvaVRVdTYqY2w%3D

Thanks. I believe I am on the latest firmware already. I bought the WDTV Live two days ago and it automatically updated the firmware upon setup. According to the link you provided, I should see an available firmware update on the main menu if one is available.  I’ll double check tonight when i’m home. 

Do you use the built-in Sling Player? If so, what happens when you turn off the WDTV Live or press the home key while streaming from the Sling Player? Mine tells the Slingbox to “Stop” the cable box. It really perplexes me why this is necessary. I’d rather it do nothing like the iPhone and iPad apps do. Or better yet, I wish it would send a “disconnect” command rahter than “stop”.  

I have opened a case with WD. Hopefully I’ll get a reply soon. I’ll post here if I do. 

Anybody know how long it takes to get a response to an opened case? It says 1 business day, but it’s been two weeks… 

I put in a case with SLING about it; the response is that it’s designed that way into the app.   

Interesting… Thanks.

I wonder why they designed it that way. Disconnecting would be much more elegant than stopping. I wonder if I’m the only one bugged by this feature. 

Perhaps other users (not just WD?) asked for that feature so that they can exit one place, then resume on another device without missing anything?

Seems like a logical “feature” to me.

Stream on my WD -  Exit the app

Pick it up on my iPad and Resume.

Maybe?

Yes, that does seem logical since the WDTV is likely to be in the same location (unlike mobile devices) as the Slingbox . 

In my home, I the latency between live TV and the Sling Player’s display is long enough for me to turn off the Sling Player and walk over to the “host” TV without missing anything. No need to pause the DVR. …But I may be the exception to the rule. 

Thanks again.