True Image Backups Failing Part Way Through Backing Up

Hi All,

New user here, i have been having some serious issues backing up my devices to the Western Digital Cloud Home. I bought Cloud Home last week from Amazon and inital setup was a breeze. My main purpose for buying it though was to perform backups of my main 2 devices.

Cloud Home is connected directly to the BT Super Hub6 and I have mapped a drive to it from my Surface Pro 7 & my HP Omen 15 Gaming Laptop.

Both the Surface Pro 7 & HP Omen 15 are connected to the network via Wifi and are about 3 feet from the router

I have setup a Backup Job on both devices and they all seem to start fine, however at some random point in the backup process the jobs just stop. I am not trying to run these jobs at the same time just for clarification.

Has anyone got any thoughts/suggestions that could potentially help with this, I can see anything obvious causing any issues

Any guidance would be appreciated

Regards

John

My Cloud Home (MCH) should not be your only source of backup. In your case, using a USB HDD directly to your PC or choosing a different NAS may be better choices. MCH is a product for the home and it is going to have problems with updating many thousands of small files or copying files larger than 4 GB and despite what support may have suggested, there may still be bugs with >4 GB file size with the WD Discovery software and the proprietary KDDFS files system that it mounts. See this thread and its following possible solutions:

Thanks for the response, reason for My Cloud was to have backups scheduled during the night with a fire and forget solution. Both my devices are laptops and therefore using USB HDD into them would require setting them up somewhere purely for the sake of backups. I thought having a NAS would have been easier as its always on and doesnt physically require a connection to the laptops.

I assumed by the sounds of it that WD Home would have ideal for my purposes.

The obvious test is that if the laptops are so close to the router, why not just connect them to the router with ethernet and see if the problem goes away with the backups.

Another obvious test is to use a different backup program. Freefilesync is a free open source program and Aomei backupper has an option to backup folders as images that can also be split into manageable size, for example the Pictures folder with 20,000 files can be combined and backupped into 6 files of 640 MB each.