Transmission Download speeds

Just got a second hand EX 2 Ultra to use for torrents and I’m getting 5 mb/s download instead of my usual 100mb/s through my pc torrent client.

The research I’ve done so far has lead me to knowing I need to edit settings.json but not knowing what settings to edit to increase speeds.

The guides to the various settings talks about speeds in KB/S not mb/s!

Toggle the upnp setting to open ports.
It’s a known bug.

Which ports? The one specified in the settings.json?

"peer-port": XXXXX,
"peer-port-random-high": XXXXX
"peer-port-random-low": YYYYY,
"peer-port-random-on-start": false,
"peer-socket-tos": "default",
"pex-enabled": true,

So I add a port forwarding settings with TCP protocol and XXXXX on external and internal port?

There is a setting that can be tweaked from the UI. It allows to turn on port forwarding (UPnP), however from my experience, on launch, even is it looks turned on the setting is not enforced. You have to manually turn it off then on to enable it properly.
Then ports will be forwarded on your router / gateway (if compatible with UPnP) and speeds should be greater.

in mycloud → settings → network → port forwarding it says “No port forwarding service has been added to your device”

This gives me the option to add a port forwarding service by either “select the default service scan” or “customise a port forwarding service”

There is also the option on my router to turn on UPnP IGD

In the transmission settings.json I have set the peer port to XXXXX and peer-port random on start to false, presumably this means it always uses XXXXX

So do I add a customised port forwarding service with XXXXX on the mycloud - this asks me for service, protocol, external and internal port

Or do I do it on the router which lets me choose protocol TCP, UDP etc and also asks me for external host (my internet IP address?) and internal host (network IP of the mycloud)

Is your EX2 Ultra updated to OS 5 firmware?

yes; Current Version 5.26.300

I don’t remember Transmission offering the choice of a service for port forwarding.

Can you share a screenshot?

Whatsoever, if UPnP is turned on in your router, then it should be automatically set up by Transmission (as explained before).

the transmission config on the mycloud interface does not offer the choice of a service for port forwarding. I was referring to the mycloud webui

in mycloud → settings → network → port forwarding it says “No port forwarding service has been added to your device” This gives me the option to add a port forwarding service by either “select the default service scan” or “customise a port forwarding service”

There are no configuration options on the transmission client. By transmission settings I was referring to the json.settings file that has to be accessed via connecting through FTP/SSH, downloading the settings file, editing and uploading back to the transmission directory

Got you.
In the mycloud admin ui, port forwarding is meant for when you what to allow remote access to this web ui.

Regarding Transmission, if you use the version that comes with OS 5, there is a UI with a settings window in the app.

I am using version 1.15 that was installed via the mycloud interface.

On the mycloud > apps > transmission screen there is only the ability to configure a new password and launch the app

On the transmission client I only have controls to open a torrent, pause, resume etc. And the “i” button only pulls up info about a selected download/upload

Hello,

If you launch transmission from this screen you should get this webpage (see below, taken from this KB article: Comment installer l'Application « Transmission » sur un My Cloud avec le micrologiciel 2.30.165 ou plus récent)

In the lower left side, there are two buttons where you should find a setting item.

Another screenshot here: Transmission and UPnP - #3 by AustinForest

The interface is buggy and will keep stating that the ports are closed even when successfully opened on the router.

OMG I hadn’t even noticed those yet. wow omg thank you

1 Like

It should be highlighted that this version is outdated. Hopefully WD will update it sometime.