Transfer programs from old computer to new?

Is it possible to transfer programs from my old computer (Windows XP) to the new computer (Windows 7)?  If so how would I do this.  I did not want to reinstall all this stuff and for some of the programs, I no longer have the install discs or have not yet found them. I’ll keep looking in the mean time, but I am beginning to think that they got left behind at the last place.  Anyway, thanks for any help.

Generally if you “upgrade” the operating system on the same computer, as opposed to a “clean install”, you can often retain your programs without having to re-install them.

But, beyond the actual .exe file in the “Program Files” folder and any support files, when you “install” a program, it generally writes many other files all over the place, including generally many keys in the System Registry.

Theoretically, if you copied all the Registry Keys and copied all the other scattered files, the program would work without “installing” it (since you’d essentially be doing the equivalent of the install, manually).

But, in practice it’s far easier to just re-install any programs under the new operating system.

Especially in this case where the O/S isn’t merely being re-installed, but a jump is being made several versions newer… some of the XP support files and keys may no longer be applicable under Win7 and a new install may be the only option to get all the correct files and keys into their proper places.

You might luck out with a few programs, that merely copying the folder from the old PC’s “Program Files” folder to the new PC’s “Program Files” folder may still result in a working program, but this generally isn’t the case.

1 Like

You can checkout Windows Easy transfer. Besides what RoofingGuy posted a lot of old software just isn’t compatible with newer systems. And the software makers don’t spend money updating most old versions of programs they want you to buy the newest one they make. Windows 7 64 bit is also much more finicky about little things like signed drivers. You might try looking at places like the Windows 7 forums http://windows7forums.com/ you might find more help there. 

Joe

1 Like

there is actually a program that does transfer programs from an older operating system XP (why did they get rid of it in the first place - maybe because it worked!) to Win 7 in the way you suggested.

Collects the programs and the registery and lists them as single .exe files.

After you install a new system, you can select what programs you want to use, and presto!

Haven’t needed to re-install win 7 but may need to reinstall good old XP, but  have started up the program to see what it can do. very uncomplicated - menu driven.

having trouble with internet at moment looking for the email that contains the program.

will get back when I find it.

found program that transfers programs from older systems to newer ones. Found it had auto sent before I had a chance to find it.

sorry I didn’t mention it in last post but I am new to this sort of thing, but the program is:

Cameyo-1.7.634

a search of the above produced following:

Free Cameyo Download, Cameyo 1.7.634 is Cameyo is a free application

CLICK ON UNDELINED WEB PAGE FOLLOWING AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD FROM THERE.

SMAL PROGRAM ONLY 6.7 MEG.: DON’T BE DISTRACTED BY OTHER OFFERS - AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF GOOD ONES - JUST LOOK FOR THE CAMEO DOWNLOAD!

JUST LOOK FOR THE DOWLOAD SERVERS - GLOBAL OR US MIRROR, DOESN’T MATTER WHICH, AND THE FILE WILL COME UP ON SCREEN TO SAVE OR (RUN?)

http://www.brothersoft.com/cameyo-download-467843.html - 37k - Similar pages

Haven’t actually tried it myself but just looked up what it could do. very easy to use just starts off with two menu choices.

best of luck

Unless I am mistaken, I  believe that easy transfer (if it’s the windows 7 utility) only transfers data like documents, photos, etc, but not executable programs. That’s what I hate about windows. unless you get an upgrade version of win 7, and have Vista already on your computer you want to install Win 7 over, you loose all your programs.

Took me 18 months to get them all back - and most of those for XP don’t work.

What was Bill Gates thinking! Dread Win 8 - already out in Beta -  not necessarily better, but can’t be worse!

see my post on transerring programs between systems and different computers

Free Cameyo Download

Free Cameyo Download, Cameyo 1.7.634 is Cameyo is a free application

http://www.brothersoft.com/cameyo-download-467843.html - 37k - Similar pages

If you went from XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit a lot of old softeware won’t work. Manufacturers want you to buy their new stuff so aren’t going to waste time updating obsolete products. It’s the same thing with hardware.

Joe

thanks for info re incompatibility from XP 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit.

think I’ll go back to Win 98 SE. At least you didn’t loose all your programs when you installed the OS over itself, fix the problem and carry on regardless.

Know had trouble of finding and loading drivers - but you have the same trouble with the malware Win 7.

Keith

PS: how do you tick the Kudos? Can’t find it.

Just click on the star on left side by post information to give Kudos. Also you can checkout compattibility mode out for installing and running old programs inWindows 7. It works sometimes.

Joe

thanks again for your info. kudos and compatibilty with win 7.

appreciate it very much as pper kudos star!

getting the hand of it now.

keith