Transfer data from a QNAP NAS to WD EX2

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I’ve looked around and can’t seem to find the answer. I have a WD EX2 coming in to replace an existing QNAP NAS, and I’d like to transfer the approx 2 terabytes of data on the QNAP to the EX2. It seems to me the easiest (?) way to do this would be to connect both to my router, mount the QNAP on the EX2, ssh in to the EX2, and then rsync. (I’m assuming rsync exists on the EX2.) But I can’t find the command line command for the EX2 that would mount the QNAP on a created folder on the EX2. Can anyone help? Or suggest a better way to transfer data? I intend to set up the EX2 with 2 RAID 1 drives.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Craigbot, welcome to the WD Community. It is not supported to transfer files using SSH, maybe other user can assist you on this. The Supported way is connecting both drives to a router and transferring the files using the PC. 

jubei04 wrote:

Hi Craigbot, welcome to the WD Community. It is not supported to transfer files using SSH, maybe other user can assist you on this. The Supported way is connecting both drives to a router and transferring the files using the PC. 

That’s strange, what about this reference to How to enable SSH (Secure Shell) on a WD My Cloud, Mirror, EX2, or EX4 Personal Cloud drive in the WD Knowledge base?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10435/~/how-to-enable-ssh-%28secure-shell%29-on-a-wd-my-cloud,-mirror,-ex2,-or-ex4-personal

What am I missing?

Craigbot wrote:

What am I missing?

You are missing the fact that supported feature is not the same thing as a feature’s availability. SSH is available on the EX2…but it comes with the explicit disclaimer from WD that use of SSH is not supported (and that means you cannot contact WD support for assistance should you attempt to use SSH and run into issues or mess up your NAS while using SSH). Does not prohibit you from using SSH at your own risk of voiding the warranty.

One other point related to your first post in this thread - yes, rsync is available on EX2. The backup jobs that one can create via the web dashboard are basically rsync jobs in the back-end.

1 Like

Cybernut1 wrote:

You are missing the fact that supported feature is not the same thing as a feature’s availability…

Thanks–that’s helpful. Then (as I’m assuming you are a helpful soul and not WD support staff) do you happen to know (or know where I can go to find) the command line command that will mount another NAS?

Thanks in advance if you do!

This is for anyone trying to transfer from another NAS to the WD: I finally figured out how to SSH in–there was this insanely goofy arbitrary user name applied to ssh that only showed up in small print when pressing the on button for SSH in the browser interface prior to setting up the password–I never could figure out how to mount the external NAS from the command line on the WD EX2.

What I eventually did was connect the QNAP, WD EX2, and a mac mini that I had hanging around (dedicating my laptop to hours of copying was not something that I could do) to a gigabit switch, set 9000 MTU jumbo frames on the QNAP, WD, and mac mini, and then mounted the QNAP and WD on the mac, an then ran a few rsync commands. It took a little over a day to move 2 TB.

I know that this is the supported way, and it would have likely taken about the same amount of time to do it directly as an rsync from the QNAP to the WD, but it just seemed really cumbersome. People out there must be, as I did, wanting to replace one NAS with another, and dragging and dropping on a filesystem over WiFi would take intractably long as NAS systems become commonly larger than 1 TB. So if ssh’ng into the WD EX2 is a clearly discouraged but still supported feature, and I’m guessing that’s the case because WD understandably doesn’t want to allocate support staff to systems internally reconfigured by users, why not build a one button old NAS to your new WD transfer?

Just a thought.

1 Like