TP-Link USB WiFi - TL-WN821N - supported versions listed

Hi Guys,

I was recently trying to track down a TP-Link TL-WN821N USB WiFi adapter to use for my WDTV Live.

As you probably know the official support page only lists V2.2 as a supported version.

TP-Link are up to 3.x now with their latest models.

I was trying to source one 2nd hand, so I emailed TP-Link to confirm which models share the same chipset as 2.2.

Here was their response:

Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product.

The hardware V1 and V2 have the same chipset: AR9170+AR9102.

By the way, the hardware of V2.1 and V2.2 are both V2, so the chipsets are the same.

Hardware V3 has a different chipset: AR7010+AR9287. 

Given this, I would expect that any V1.x or V2.x model of the TL-WN821N should be compatible with the WDTV Live.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

jmoulds, thank you very much for sharing this information with the Users of the WD Community; it is most helpful.

Regards,

I have a TP-Link WN821N Ver 3.1 Wireless N USB Adapter. Is there any way to make it work on the WD TV Live Plus with firmware 1.06.16? If not, are there any firmware releases scheduled in the near future that work with this wireless adapter?

MrWong wrote:

I have a TP-Link WN821N Ver 3.1 Wireless N USB Adapter. Is there any way to make it work on the WD TV Live Plus with firmware 1.06.16? If not, are there any firmware releases scheduled in the near future that work with this wireless adapter?

No, that version is not supported.

No one here knows when or if any new versions are coming, or what they will support.

I don´t know if you notice, but with the last firmware update it´s look like the WD Hub is recognizing the dondle at least. Also i tried to connect to wireless network but unfortunated the connection crash and reboot the WD. Anyone have the same problem?.