Tool to preLoad "Get Info" metadata for movies (no TV series)

As mentioned a few posts back, the source code is freely available… so you can add any website you like…

So here goes . . .

I have ownership and full control of the said folder . . .

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp

Still get the same error, I re-checked my .net 4 and it is up to date as of fifteen minutes ago.

I gave the tool admin rights so it can write wherever it wants.

I even used "  InstallTakeOwnership.reg  " to make sure that folder had ownership when it did not work . . .

I used lockhunter to see if there were any locks on that folder and there are none.

I did notice that when I click properties of the said (C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp) that it is set to read only ?

I deselect the read only tick, tap apply and close and re select the properties and it is still selected as read only ?  Weird.  Rebooted and the problem is still there.  Ran Reg Cure rebooted and still cannot get rid of the read only on that folder . … 

HELP !!!

I’m loosing my allready quite fragile mind !!!

the roggy

I wouldn’t know how to do that. I’m not a programmer.

I don’t know how easy / hard it would be to add a feature that would let a user edit the soruce of the movie data.

Is it something that would be hard to add into the app?

I’m very greatful for the contribution and it’s saved me a lot of time. My idea is only to clean up my collection of alternative movies.

Thanks

deathr0w

@ Diesel13: Pretty odd problem… Just a wild try… but could you delete the temp dir and recreate him… you never know…

@deathr0w: Easy/hard… depends on the website to be added… if it talks about the same ‘language’ as the one used now, probably a few hours, if it ‘talks’ completely different or incomplete (so some data must be found in another way) could take a day of programming with some bad luck… I just had a look at the site you mentioned in the private message, and it does’t even have a description of the API (= “Language it speaks”), so it would take day s to implement that… because you have to “learn the language” without a textbook or teacher so to speak…

You could have a look at the tool ThumbGen I noticed a few days ago… It should be able to get movie info as well and it supports a lot of websites. I had a quick look at it, but wasn’t really fond of the interface (didnt’ understand it :cry:)… but you might like it…

1 Like

@     the_roggy

Ah well, I was due anyway . . .

I deleted the said C:\ Partition . . .

Reinstalled brand new, and everything works fine, the tool works great except that nearly half of my movies, the tool doesn’t fetch the metadata . . .

ex:

[NOT FOUND] No metadata found in themoviedb.org for searchterm <agent cody banks - 1 - (2003)> for file <\WDTVLIVEHUB\My_Book\Movies` Kids\Agent Cody Banks - 1 - (2003).avi>

I figured I’d ask because I kon’t know much about programming, but a lot of movies that have multiple in the series, returns number 1 as missing but it fetches number 2 and 3 etc . . .

Also, some other movies like avatar, there should be metadata there, when I manually go to :

http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/19995   (sorry if I’m not supposed to post links)

The movie is there yet this is the return i get a too many error ?  How do I correct this ?

[TOO MANY  ] > 1 result in themoviedb.org for searchterm <avatar 2009> for file <\WDTVLIVEHUB\My_Book\Movies\Avatar 2009.avi>

Thanks in advance

Mike.

Hello,

For the movies you don’t find metadata for, you can add pieces of text in the tool that should be excluded from the search term… so I’d add “- 1 -” par example, maybe the movies are found then…

For the movies where something like the following line is in the log file

[TOO MANY  ] > 1 result in themoviedb.org for searchterm <avatar 2009> for file <\WDTVLIVEHUB\My_Book\Movies\Avatar 2009.avi>

There were more than one movies returned for the search… so apparantly on the website there are 2 movies defined that respond to this search term?

Well, I installed this little nifty app (theRenamer_Setup.exe), Work really well and it allowed your tool to fetch a lot more metadata off the site.

What I do (it’s a pain in the %$@ but it works) is I allready have .jpg for all my movies so the renamer “renames” the .MP4 files , I use the tool to fetch the metadata then copy paste the name from toe original .jpg back onto the .MP4 and .xml.

The tool also fetches new .jpg so I keep the one I like the most.  (most of the time my own as I used google image for search for all my dvd art and used photoshop to batch resize all the pics to 78k.

For the rest so far (the one I cannot get the tool to work, I made a Blank metadata (.xml) file and I copy paste the info from TMDb into it, 

here is what I use . . .

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

entermovietitlehere

enterhearhere

enterdurationhere

entergenrehere

enterplothere

enterplothere

enterdirectorhere

enteractornamehere

enterroleplayedhere

repeat if necessary

It takes a while but it works great.

If you have better ideas, please feel free because it will take me most likely over a hundred hours to complete all my library . . .

But there is one thing certain, you (and your work) helped a heck of a lot, Thank You.

Mike

Why do you rename the files first? Is the feature to exclude parts of the file name while doing the search not working? 

Or is is just not to loose the .jpg you already got yourself?

Somehow I cannot get the exclude option to work, 

This seemed like the only way it worked, it’s pain consuming but it’s an option . . .

I thought that maybe I’m doing it wrong ?

When I hit the “Edit” button, it opens TermsToExclude.txt located in ( C:\WDTVLiveMetadataLoader1.1.2 ).

In the said file this is what I typed in . . .

(, ), -, Extended, Edition, Unrates,

Am I doing it wrong ?  I fix and build custom computers (mostly for hardcore gamers) and I can fix almost anything in Windows with my eyes closed but my coding skills are extremely basic, to say the least . . .

Mike.

Hot Dang, I figured it out !

enter only one entry per line . . .

(

)

extended

director

cut

unrated

it works this way !

Apparantly I didn’t supply an example file anymore… I’ll put it in again if I make a new release…

Anyway, you need to put each term to exclude on a seperate line in the text file… 

EDIT: didn’t see before answering you figured it out already…

hrer’s one for you, 

When (if) TooMany is returned, a window pop’s up and gives the url’s (and maybe an Open Links button) on the left and a select button on the right . . .

That way, the person can visit the links and then in the window select the appropriate one and click the “select” button in your app’s window and the tool fetches that metadata ?

Just a thought and here is idea of what I’m thinking . . .

Yeah, have thought about implementing something like that, but a few weeks (even months) ago I found a screenshot of another tool for loading data on the hub somewhere else on the forum which looked very good… so I didnt start at it (and stopped on implementing the feature to load metadata of TV Shows, hoping he would share the tool.

It took quite a bit longer than I hoped, but I asked him explicitly two weeks ago I think and very recently he started a new thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/v1-0-6-released-WDTVHubGen-Looks-up-Movies-TV-Shows-and-creates/td-p/160548

It looks really good, but there are still some important missing features so I didn’t ditch my own tool yet till now… but once he builts those things in or shares his code so I can add those features I’ll start supporting that tool… and then everybody is happy!

Have a look!

I checked it out it it does work well but I’d rather use your tool when filling a folder, just have to let it go.

One thing I did notice is the tool lacking in a department . . .

it should not take into account caps ie:

XXX or xxx returns nothing as xXx returns the actual movie with Vin Diesel.

That would of helped a lot.

Thanks again.

This is an odd one:

It should not take into account caps ie:

XXX or  xxx  returns nothing as  xXx  returns the actual movie with Vin Diesel.

There are two possible reasons for this:

1. the website we use for getting the info is case sensitive: I’m pretty sure this is not the case, otherwise we would have a lot more problems with this…

2. if you are talking about the other tool than mine… it also has a feature to exclude certain pieces of text in the search going to the database… maybe they are case sensitive, and “xxx” and “XXX”  are defined to be removed, but “xXx” isn’t.

Have a look in the xml file standing with the .exe…

Nah, I use your tool only, it works great except for a few little nicks that were mentionned, The case sensitive is the only thing I was not able to overcome . . .

I use this tool . . .  http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/v1-0-6-released-WDTVHubGen-Looks-up-Movies-TV-Shows-and-creates/td-p/160548

Only if I get no results with yours, and then that works only if I use the agressive option and then again works only bout’ 40% of the time and is useless for old movies . . . I have quite a few old movies (1930’s to 60’s) barely any have a return from query.

I did finish my metadata upgrade for the ones I was not able  to get it automatically, I copy / pasted them manually into a blank .xml file mostly from imdb.

I do have 2 little concerns in goal to have a perfect wdtvlive hub movie list I sure hope you would know how to fix . . .

1-  When in gallery view, I see the full Picture on the bottom row but when you look up at the metadata displayed (the larger one), the picture is zoomesd and you only see a part of it there . . .

2-  Is there a way to display metadata for a folder ?  All my TV series are in seperate folders, i.e. There is a folder named Sanctuary, within that folder there is a picture named folder.jpg for the art displayed on that folder.  What I would like would be that when browsing the folders, when the Sanctuary folder is reviewed, a description would be displayed like on the movies.  In the Sanctuary folder, I made an .xml file with the said description and named it folder.xml, did not work, named it sanctuary.xml, did not work, took that sanctuary.xml file and moved it to the same folder as the Sanctualy folder, did not work either, it is possible or Am I chasing ghosts ?

Thanks

Mike

For the pictures beeing the wrong size, I figured out that they were too big (a lot of them) because they were not displayed properly in Gallery view, they showed full size on the bottom but they were zoomed on the metadata display area.

Pictures have to be jpg and measure 185x275 pixels.

So I batch resized everi single pictures in my movie folders in my hub (except the screen captures in t.v. episodes folders.)

I still don’t have a clue as for implementing metadata information to a folder’s description in Gallery view, 

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Diesel13,

The part about showing metadata for a folder is a firmware limitation.  This is something that has been repeatedly requested to WD to implement//add.  I hope they will add this in a future firmware version.

Regards,

Bart

Thanks for the reply Bart, I guess I can stop fooling around trying to figure this out . . .

If there’s no light at the end of the tunel . . . well, . . . there’s no light !

Maybe later . . .

Thanks.