TLC Smart TV no longer able to read certain files on XHD after large transfer

Hi -

I’m having a problem with getting my new WD XHD to play certain files on my Roku Smart TV after transferring a large number of files to the XHD - hoping someone here can advise.

Here’s the details:

In November 2023 I purchased a 22TB WD Elements Desktop XHD (MFR #WDBWLG0220HBK-NESN) and recently began consolidating a large 4k/HD video library onto it that is currently spread across three separate 5TB LaCie XHDs.

Last week I began the process by transferring ~500 gb of 4K and HD .mp4 video content (using my M1 Mac Mini desktop) to this WD XHD from one of the LaCie drives and was then able to use the drive for its primary purpose of watching the video content on my TLC Roku Smart TV. A week or so later I did a much larger transfer with the same desktop Mac Mini - roughly 3TB (400 to 500 separate .mp4 files and 5 to 8 folders of HD still images) at once so I could let it run overnight while I was asleep.

When I woke up, the transfer showed it had been completed without any errors, and when I accessed the drive with this Mac Mini, all the files showed up and could be played with Quicktime. The issue is that when I hook up this drive to my Roku Smart TV, the TV will only play about 75% of the newly added files from this large batch (files from the first transfer also still play without issue). The other 25% will show a corrupted file error when you try to play them. Even worse, any other new files (be it a single file or folder with 20) that are added to the drive since this large transfer will not play either and display the same error. There is still roughly 17.5 tb of free space showing on the drive.

Any idea what might of happened to cause this? Could it have been the size of the transfer that caused this issue? Would formatting the entire drive and starting over fix the issue?

I’m hesitant to do the latter because I’m afraid of losing what does work on the drive, not to mention the time it will take to restart this lengthy process.

Happy to provide any other details that may be needed to diagnosis this issue.

Cheers!

Hi @vanguard1541,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting: