TimeMachine can't complete backup on MyBook

Could anybody help?
I constantly get the following error message:
Error Code 512: Time Machine could’t complete the backup on “My Book”.
Thank you.

Hi @AndreaBeddies,

When a Time Machine backup is first created, the backup database, called a ‘sparsebundle’, is created using the current size limit set on the My Book. If that size limit is not adequate to store the Time Machine Backup, the backup will fail.

Please refer to the link below to troubleshoot this error:
Link: macOS: Time Machine Could Not Complete the Backup

Hope this will help!

Dear All,
Thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately I have a newer version of the WD Backup and can’t follow the instructions. The structure of my WD programme is different. Do you have an updated version with screenshots?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Best regards,
Andrea

What was the link “below”?

Dear All,
Here we are.
Best regards,
Andrea

When a Time Machine backup is first created, the backup database, called a ‘sparsebundle’, is created using the current size limit set on the My Book. If that size limit is not adequate to store the Time Machine Backup, the backup will fail.

Please refer to the link below to troubleshoot this error:
Link: Error: ‘Time Machine could not complete the backup.’ occurs when backing up to the Time Machine share

Hope this will help!

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18982

To fix the Time Machine Error Code 512, you need to delete the .sparsebundle file. Then create it once again in your local disk but not the Time Machine disk using the following terminal command:

sudo hdiutil create -size 50g -type SPARSEBUNDLE -nospotlight -volname “Time Machine Backup” -fs “Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+” -verbose ./Computername_MACaddress

Here, replace the size as per your choice, keep your own volume name, and replace it with your computer name and MAC address.

Now, log in to your NAS. Next, create a user account and create a shared folder. In Finder, navigate to Go > Connect to Server .

Type smb://TimeMachine@ip-address-of-nas/shared-folder-name for server address.

Click Connect . When requested, enter the password and save it in your keychain.

Now, copy the created sparsebundle file into the Time Machine share folder. The sparsebundle file is in your Home folder /Users/your-user-name.

On NAS, check the file is copied under your correct user account.

Finally, open Time Machine, select the Time Machine folder as the desired destination.

The backup will now start without any error.