Time to toss all my MyCloud EX2, MyBook Duo into the garbage

man, the years passes… and I have several of these EX2 and MyBooks which surprisingly the MyClouds Ex2 do boot up and config into a nice little server. BUT I cannot SSH into them and I need to get into them to silence all the scans. Was thinking of using at least one MyCloud as a backup archive device but if I cannot SSH into it I’m going to throw it out…

Have tried everything that I could think of. I remember that I had no troubles SSH into them a few years ago just before I turn them off and tuck them into my closet for prosperity sake… haven’t applied any firmware yet and I’m not sure where my SSH went wrong…

thoughts? otherwise I’m picking up a QNAP USB drive to expand my QNAP TS-431K NAS and tossing all my EX2 and Duo to the garbage heap. The Duo for some reason doesn’t fit my 8TB drives and when I do manage to squeeze the drive into the slot they are not recognized as having two drives to make a mirror. Haven’t tried my 3TB drives but I wanted to make two 8TB drive mirror for archive expansion.

If you have any info on SSHing into my clouds and I tried SSHD which doesn’t exist or perhaps it does but it insist on a full path to the SSHD and when I do include a full path it complains about the parameters … and I do admit that I’m getting old on doing this stuff…

point me to the right direction and none of this RTFM as there isn’t none… and none of this google is your best friend stuff… as googling actually took me to one of my posts on here and all of us knows that I knew nothing of what I was talking about…

waiting for a response if there is anyone left in here…

yes yes I know there is no longer any tech support for OS3… there wasn’t any tech support even when the EX2 was new… so no pointing me to tech support…

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to post up the SSH links but these are the canned answers of SSH but I will go through them with a fine tooth comb… and try try again… and if not… I’ll toss these old relics… I have never been too fond on the scans that locks up the devices and having to issue the scripts to cancel the scans.

Seriously I have been using SSH since the heydays of the EX2 and single and duo mycloud but that doesn’t make me an expert but it does make me a very serious user of the system.

Something has changed… and I cannot figure out what it is… and now even sshd needs a direct path and it doesn’t accept parameters… I even removed the hidden rsakey host file so it regenerates a new key file but nope the ex2 keeps rejecting me. In fact all 3 of my MyCloud ex2 are rejecting me even after turning off and on the SSH and typing in a new password.

Perhaps I just need to search for one of my old post to remind me of my mistakes…

So @Cerberus you seemed to have taken over the job of posting up links to visitors now. congrats… keep up the good work…

1 Like

now why would you delete your post? @Cerberus? I was just about to go through the links…

I have a two QNAP drives and I’m able to SSH into them with no problems. ALL 3 of my EX2 are still using OS3 and I am suspecting that the SSH has been disabled during the last update forcing me to update to OS5… because I have tried almost everything under the sun, creating a new username on my Mac ie. matching user name with the EX2… tried changing the password for both my admin and the ssh-in on the ex2.

and apparently all my MY BOOKS Duo don’t fit the 8tb drive on the right side… like what is going on. I have two MY Books duo and both of them doesn’t allow me to fit a 8tb drive but a 3tb is skinny enough to fit and note that ALL my DRIVES are WD drives and they are not the brand that we shall not name but then again I think WD has bought out every drive maker anyways.

I’m just trying to use my old drives for backup and I want a raid mirror setup so anything that I throw on the drives will at least have a mirror copy.

So I got 3 x EX2 of which none of them allows me to SSH into them and they definitely were SSH-able before I put them away a few years ago or maybe even just a year ago and I got 2 x my book duos that now doesn’t allow a 8TB drive to fit in on the right side to make a mirror.

Yup plugged them in and checked with the WD raid setting software and I’m not able to click on Mirror Raid 1 because it doesn’t see two drives. BOTH MY BOOKS DUO is acting the same.

The two 8tb drives are fine as My Cloud EX2 are able to format them into a raid 1 and I can even copy data on to them. I just need to SSH into them to run scripts to stop the scans, otherwise they will sit there all day grumbling and rumbling and gurgling with scan noises… that would just drive me crazy. I have read that WD still hasn’t fixed this in OS5 and wd even posted saying we will check into this… WD has been checking into this since 2010… so simple… don’t run scans… at all…

I have tore apart my My Book Duo to see why my 8tb drive doesn’t fit (it just gets stuck half way down and then I tried jamming it into the slot at the bottom; just doesn’t fit… and yes I tried googling…

My best bet is just picking up the QNAP TR-002 or the TR-004 and stick my two 8tb drives into them to make a raid 1. I’ll bet that they won’t have as much problems as I have always had with WD products. It is like they are cursed with problems and this SSH problem is vexing.

1 Like

Well; deleting posts is a feature of a Cerberus. I didn’t log in for a day - - - never even SAW the post.

I remember Ralphael’s posts from back in the day - - -always a treat!

I have three MyCloud devices; I had one on OS/5; but reverted it back to OS/3. I did SSH into one not that long ago. . . . I will try again later today. I seem to recall it not working unless I enabled SSH with a fresh PW entered into the dashboard.

Although: I did not go back to the LAST version of OS/3: My firmware is the one PRIOR to the last.

1 Like

So - - - I gave it a shot.
Firmware (should have written it down) is I think 2.40.155. I would not touch the last version; which is 2.42.115 (I believe it just added an “upgrade now” nag screen)

First thing; Make sure SSH is enabled from the dashboard (under settings:network) For good measure. . .you may want to hit the “configure” button and enter a new password.

Second. . . . the “user” you are logging in as is “sshd”. I used Putty; with host name = ipaddress of device. Default port is 22

Upon connection, I was immediately requested for a password.

Geez. . . even the simple ls command isn’t present on this O/S?

1 Like

Hello @NAS_user … long time no chat eh? life moves on…

well I have upgraded to OS5 thinking that I should toss this ex2. OS5 Looks nice and fresh, it almost look like a professional NAS :stuck_out_tongue: nah who am I kidding but it does look fresh…

Turned on SSH and added password
SSH root@mycloudex2ultra.local
ssh gives me the RSA print, yes/no continue…
enter password…
denied…

Tried so many variations…

then did a system restore, everything gets re-initialized…
back to turn on SSH and created a new password…
same thing as above… access denied.

I tried system restore, quick restore and nada… I keep getting denied access on any password. It almost seems to be a MAC terminal problem… but… I tried using an APP and it is unbelievable on how every “get” supposingly free app just after filling out the form to try SSH app out it ask for a yearly subscription… so I filled out the review instead and told them where to stick their yearly subscription without even a single attempt to SSH.

I spent my whole Christmas Day troubleshooting… so unless there are any new ideas to try?
heading over to Amazon to pick up a TR-002 or TR-004

I keep saying that ALL WD products are a pain in the somewhere to use… like why in the world the My Book DUO has a narrow metal try on the right side… it doesn’t make sense…
and none of my EX2 would allow me to SSH into them? has this been changed somewhere?

One ex2 is now upgraded to newest and latest OS5… and try after try… I am getting denied under Mac Terminal on two different Mac OS versions… so what is the common denominator? the Mac…

are you able to SSH into any EX2 @NAS_user? if so then it has to be my Mac Terminal…

1 Like

whoa… like what the… refrigerator… why oh why is the username sshd???

root I would accept…
admin I would accept…
ralphaelninja I would accept as it is one of the users of the device…

but… whoa… sshd… I don’t remember the user name as sshd ever… and… all the friggin links on how to use SSH never says user name is SSHD… I keep thinking use SSHD to login… yup use SSHD as a user name to log in…

2 days of troubleshooting… and tons of googling and I even found posts that I posted and the funny thing I started reading some of my posts and I was unaware that I was the poster and I kept thinking “what a nice writer!” and I looked up and saw my nick…

ALRIGHT… I saved myself $800 on purchasing a TR-004 plus 2 more 8TB drives for archiving.

Thanks @NAS_user… really appreciate your feedback and solution… now to find my scripts that stops all scans… man… so glad that I have an archive of that oldie script…

hey @Cerberus come back and man the fort as us old timers are gone… and you have to do all the work of RTFM to all the noobies… and now you have the answer to how to SSH into probably any WD My Clouds…

the syntax is ssh sshd@mycouldex2ultra.local and not ssh root@mycloudex2ultra.local

young programmers I say is at fault. Probably someone said to them use SSHD… so they did and used it as a username…

1 Like

Hey! Glad I could help.

There are like, FOUR regular posters left on this site. All very odd ducks.

I like the MyClouds simply because. . . they work. First introduced to NAS with a “left over” Gen 1 mycloud. . . .was so tickled pink I eventually wound up with 2 x Ex2 ultras.

However. . . OS/3 went basically obsolete due to security problems. . . and I found OS/5 to be a bit bothersome with the “indexing” process and TOO MUCH internet connectivity. (like; even with cloud services “off”; it was a very noisy device on the network. . . . very improper for a storage device). I ultimately said “no” and rolled my OS/5 box to OS/3. My next up grade was to a symbology. VASTLY superior software (although; hardware a bit pricier)

For security. . .I put all the NAS boxes behind a router that lacks a WAN connection.

Can’t use them as media servers this way. . .but . . .they are ALOT harder to hack.
I find for music a usb stick plugged into my computer (with all the music files) seems to work pretty well. For movies. . .well. . .honestly. . . .I think I have become more of a streamer. Just don’t have time to buy and rip movies anymore.

2 Likes

I would be interested in learning the scripts you are running.

I am slowly squirrling away info against the time these forums (inevitably) disappear.

1 Like

You have that backwards turtle boy. I gave you the answers on day one, until you decided to act like a moron desperate for attention.

Judging from your incoherent ramblings, your reading comprehension skills must be very poor, but had you even tried to Google it, you may have found the second result contained the information you sought.

1 Like

Ahhh now I remember, you are that @Cerberus Cerberus; the annoying one… and also the reason that you delete your posts so that all evidence are removed unless everyone quotes you…

now I remember why I left… because of idiots like you… but yes I do admit to my error and in re–reading the link I see that the username is SSHD and I had glossed over that thinking that was sshd instead of ssh…

also true that in my old age my reading comprehension starts to fade because I think my Alzheimer is kicking in, or perhaps it is just my ADHD.

oooh look a repost of the link… yup I certainly miss the old days fighting with users like you… :stuck_out_tongue:

keep up the good work as you certainly keep all the users at bay…

Anyways… thanks again for reminding me of who you are… I wonder if the admin still bans the trolls or perhaps I am the troll now…

1 Like

Evidence of what, that I posted to links to help your sorry ass? My post was only deleted because you acted like an idiot. You’re the one who was looking for a fight, while I merely provided two links that contained precisely the information you sought, nothing more.

In your case, I think it’s mental illness, or perhaps your just a passive-aggressive twit with nothing better to do than cause trouble.

You asked for it turtle boy, and you got your ass handed to you yet again.

1 Like

so do I. For years I love my clouds and even the single my clouds. From time to time I have thought of replacing my 8tb drive with a 22TB drive on a single mycloud… why? the novelty of having a single NAS drive sitting on my bookshelf hiding behind book covers.

BUT time moves on and I have the QNAP TS-431P and just last couple of years I bought the TS-431k and they are maintenance free. No running of scripts, no digging through code to find nuggets of joy. They just work as NAS with the WAN connected.

I too am mostly a streamer with lossless music to boot on an android phone with LDAC and a $300 dac. Times have changed.

I have a bunch of scripts but the only useful one of which I have no idea whether it will work on OS5 or not but I might spend some time tinkering with OS5 to see what is new…

#!/bin/bash
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop
/etc/init.d/nfs-common stop
/etc/init.d/upnp_nas stop
/etc/init.d/mDNSResponder stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop
/etc/init.d/wdnotifierd stop
/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wddispatcherd stop

1 Like

lets keep this for evidence… shall we? I am glad that you are lurking here on the WD community forums instead of being out there in the real world… hopefully keeping you grounded…

Stay aggressive…

1 Like

turtle-master

1 Like

hey I remember this photo from a long time ago… you haven’t changed a bit…

1 Like

It took me this long to finally using the OS5 EX2 and discover that there are only 3 scans left… so here is the new script… not sure if they do anything but I created them anyways…

try this script… let me know if something goes wrong so I’ll stop using it… :stuck_out_tongue:

#!/bin/bash
/etc/init.d/S20wdtmsd stop
/etc/init.d/atop stop
/etc/init.d/wdtmsd stop