Time Machine out of capacity

I have a desktop Mac and a My Book Essential with 500gbs. I have been successfully backing up to Time Machine for a couple of years. On last backup attempt received message that I did not have enough capacity in Time Machine. Went to disc Utility and saw that when it was originally formatted 250gbs was participation to Time Machine and 250gbs partitioned to external hard drive.

Question how can I  increase Time Machine participation to 500gbs? Do I need to re-format?

I could not find any option for formatting in disc Utility.

Beerbasket wrote:

I have a desktop Mac and a My Book Essential with 500gbs. I have been successfully backing up to Time Machine for a couple of years. On last backup attempt received message that I did not have enough capacity in Time Machine. Went to disc Utility and saw that when it was originally formatted 250gbs was participation to Time Machine and 250gbs partitioned to external hard drive.

Question how can I  increase Time Machine participation to 500gbs? Do I need to re-format?

I could not find any option for formatting in disc Utility.

Please go to the following link for instructions on how to format the drive on a Mac. Keep in mind that formatting the drive will erase all the data that you have on the drive.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3865