Time Machine Not Recognizing Quota on WD_Backup Account Error 109 Unable to Access Sparse Bundle

Issue 1:

Quota Configuration for WD_Backup  300 GBs

However, Time Machine sees the whole drive available and doesn’t recognize any quota limitations

Issue 2:

Since the quota limitation isn’t seen from the MyWorldBook to the Mac Time Machine, the Time Machine will reach the limitation of the quota. At which point, MyWorldBook will no longer allow it to operate. Meaning Time Machine errors out when trying to connect. Also noteworthy to mention the error said unable to connect to sparse bundle of the time machine account. So, if your wondering I was unable to manually delete anything in WD_Backup because the image in the file couldn’t be mounted. 

I read on several forums others where having the same error and unable to fix it. They didn’t specify having a quota configured and most ended up deleting their data restarting time machine with no luck. Many said they gave up on time machine, because the believed it was a time machine error since they said appled doesn’t support wd devices.

Resolved 4 Now:

However and although I was on the verge of freaking out and starting over I simply increased MyWorldBook Quota for WD_Backup account. This immediately allowed Time Machine error to be resolved, backups resumed, as well as, time machine restorations where accessible.

At the moment, I’m not sure why Quotas on the WD_Backup don’t work with the Time Machine, but this does give me the opportunity to manually delete the oldest backups that Time Machine is unable to do under quota restriced WD_Backup time machine compatible acount.

1 Like

Having the same issue. Did you ever figure out a more permanent solution?

Thanks

Just wanted to say that I have the same problem, with a ShareSpace drive. I don’t want to use ALL of my ShareSpace for Time Machine backups, and the fact that Time Machine can’t see when it has reached the quota is a show stopper. Otherwise, everything works great, although I had to upgrade the firmware to make Time Machine recognize the drive.

Hi Ranger69,

you wrote:

“At the moment, I’m not sure why Quotas on the WD_Backup don’t work with the Time Machine, but this does give me the opportunity to manually delete the oldest backups that Time Machine is unable to do under quota restriced WD_Backup time machine compatible acount.”

How do you delete the oldest backups in Time Machine.

Do you have  a script to do this?

Regards

Carsten

You can connect to the drive’s Time Machine share by logging into the drive with the Time Machine login and password.  Please note that WD did not add Time Machine support to the drive until after we had released it.  Our intent was that you would use the entirety of the drive for Time Machine just as you would with any of our other USB and FireWire drives.  We designed the quota system on the drive to manage data on the volumes that both the PC and Mac could access but not the Time Machine share or backups made with Time Machine.

If I’m using other USB or Firewire drives I can created separate partitions to define the size that Time Maschine should use for the backup and to leave the other space for other data.

It makes absolutely no sence to have a 4TB NAS device that should be used only for Time Machine backups.

As it’s an option to use the Quata for all users incl. WD_Backup (Time Machine) you cannot say that it was desinged to not use this.

WDJeremy wrote:

You can connect to the drive’s Time Machine share by logging into the drive with the Time Machine login and password.  Please note that WD did not add Time Machine support to the drive until after we had released it.  Our intent was that you would use the entirety of the drive for Time Machine just as you would with any of our other USB and FireWire drives.  We designed the quota system on the drive to manage data on the volumes that both the PC and Mac could access but not the Time Machine share or backups made with Time Machine.

If you ssh to the drive using that login and passwd, where is the partition? The only way I can get at it is to mount the unit with that username/password and then there is the sparsbundle “file”. I’d like to just delete it but doing that via the Finder take forever. It would be much faster to just ssh in and delete things that way.

philip

I agree with Carsten: Advertising the drive as “supporting TimeMachine” and then being unable to limit the amount of space available for time machine is a poor implementation. Who needs 4 TB of TimeMachine, seriously? And the tendency of TimeMachine to swamp an entire drive, albeit an Apple design flaw, is well-documented. The fact that quota-settings are available for the wd_backup user which then result in TimeMachine “breaking” is careless at best, if not in fact sloppy. Please fix this as soon as possible otherwise the unit is useless in an Apple environment.

Jeremy,

Do you know if and when WD will implement a fix to allow users to allocate a portion of their drive and allow standard data storage on the remaining portion of the drive?

Thanks

Last Friday, I got a message from the german WD support that WD development is aware of the problem and working on it.

But they do not know, when we will get a fix.

I mailed to the support, too - same answere. I realy hope, they are going to publish a solution for this problem. Until now, I cannot longer backup my files via time machine. And I know, if the user quota thing worked properly, the MyBook device would be much more attractive than Apples Time Capsule…

Please WDC! :slight_smile:

There was a new firmware released two weeks ago.

According to the last support information, WD was working on the Time Machine problems and it should be solved with the new firmware.

Does anybody with Apple Time Machine has done the upgrade and test if this bug is solved.

There is nothing in the release notes regarding Time Machine, but a lot of problem messages in the board.

Just to let you know I’ve upgraded to the latest firmware and the problem persists.

It’s same to me… I’m on 1.1.18, and after backup 30gb on time machine, or copy large size of file 50gb, got freeze on my network and my internet too… I must boot manually on my router (apple airport extreme).

It’s same to me… I’m on 1.1.18, and after backup 30gb on time machine, or copy large size of file 50gb, got freeze on my network and my internet too… I must boot manually on my router (apple airport extreme).

I just did a quick search on creating user quotas (outside of the online Network Storage Manager) on NAS drives. 

Came up with this result:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071108020121567

Its not a particularly easy and somewhat risky approach to take, considering that you are formatting the entire backup drive to do it, but it might be worth a shot.

I’m currently in the process of creating an addition external backup separate to my WD_Backup drive to complete the process.

I’ll let you know how it goes.