Time Machine fails "*.sparsebundle is already in use"

My MBPro is backing up fine to the Apple Time Capsule (TC). I’ve always used two backups, one to the TC and one to my NAS. Now the PR4100 seems to be the source of a problem. Any input appreciated.

The thing is that clearly there are successful Time Machine ™ backups. I think I’m noticing that the successful backups are at odd hours when I’m not using my Mac (or for that matter the PR4100) and that when I am using the PR4100 is when TM fails. Could it be that hidden from me something is mounting the PR4100 share?

Regards to the list./Steve

1 Like

I have the exact same problem. When my Mac and PR4100 are not in use it will successfully complete the Time Machine backup. When they are both in use it will fail and show the exact same message.

I think that makes it time for an official bug report.
-------------START UPDATE-----------------------------------------------------
March 10, 2017–so I did report it and I went through the troubleshooting. By deleting and recreating the TimeMachine Share and converting using TimeMachine on MBPro to use the “Guest” user it worked flawlessly for ~30 hours and then it started failing randomly with the same message above, but now it fails whether either, both or neither device is in use.

WD went through several simple checks with me and ended up telling me to talk to Apple.

I’m not going to bother as I still have TimeMachine backups working on my Apple Time Capsule and my Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ (the device I’d like to decommission and pull off-line) and Apple will just laugh at me since TM works on two other devices.

I will be blogging and posting about this WD failure to support an advertised function.

Regards./Steve
-----------------END UPDATE-------------------------------------------------------

I also have this problem. I am new to the PR4100 but whether I use the internal drives or an external drive connected to the PR100 via USB the Time Machine backups fail because the ‘disk is in use’. It will back up at night when no computers on the network are in use but that doesn’t give me the hourly backups during the day. Any update would be appreciated.

LoFi

I’ve been unable to make it work. I also have an Apple Time Capsule so I’ve gone back to using it as my Time Machine backup storage, but I had wanted to move to the PR-4100 as I am likely upgrading my home wifi later on this year.

I do wonder if there’s an issue with trying to use time machine to backup to two different storage locations:
1–Time Capsule (Apple)
2–PR-4100 (WDC)

Perhaps I’ll give a trial of Time Machine backing up only to the PR-4100.

WD Support has been totally useless and keeps pointing me back to Apple.

/Steve

Hello guys - I’ve just purchased the PR4100 and I came across this Time Machine problem on my iMac. After trawling the web I came across this and the solution offered worked for me straight off the bat. I hope it works for you:

(Text)Here is what I did to solve this problem with my WD MyCloud device.

• Access WD MyCloud through the Web Interface.
  • To access WD MyCloud through the Web Interface: Launch Safari. In the Safari toolbar, click the bookmark icon (tooltip: Show all bookmarks).
  • In the left pane, click Bonjour. In the right pane, click your WD My Cloud. The WD My Cloud web interface displays.
  • Under settings, under General, under Mac Backups, toggle Time Machine off.
  • Under settings, under Utilities, Reboot device
  • Once WD starts up again, turn Time Machine on following the same instructions used to turn it off.
  • Go to Time Machine on your Mac and select the TimeMachineBackup on the WD MyCloud device.
1 Like