Time Machine Backup to MyBook Live - does not start when expected - after Mac wakes from Sleep

I have been testing the Time Machine backup on my MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2010 - Mac OS X !0.7.2 (Lion) - to my MyBook Live 3TB (02.02.02-020 Firmware) drive for about 3 weeks.  Typically I back up all of my Macs to an Apple Time Capsule.

What I have consistently observed in my 3 weeks of testing the Time Machine backup with the MyBook Live  is that Time Machine will backup correctly to the MyBook live if I specifically tell it to “backup now” - or if an hour passes and the Time Machine invokes an hourly backup - which is what it supposed to do.

However, if the MacBook Pro goes to sleep.  Upon waking the Mac - what “should” happen - but does “not” happen is the Time Machine should start a backup operation within 30 to 60 seconds of waking from sleep.  This is how Time Machine behaves when it is backing up to the Apple Time Capsule - and this is consistent across all 3 of my Macs.

With the MyBook Live set as the backup drive for Time Machine - upon the Mac waking from sleep (regardless of how long it has been sleeping) - the Time Machine backup does not start until 20 to 40 minutes after the Mac has woken up.  Often the wait is longer - and at times it will even skip the backup at the next stated time.

The problem this creates is - (for example) the Mac is running on battery and has a very short interval before it will go to sleep - so with the Time Machine not starting a backup within the first few minutes after wake - there is the likeliness that the Mac will sleep again before Time Machine runs the backup - effectively never backing even over a period of many hours.

When the backup runs - there are no errors - everything appear to run smoothly.  I am basically questioning why the Time Machine Backup is exhibits a different operational behavior when backing up to the MyBook Live - vs. - backing up to the Apple Time Capsule.

What I have not tested yet is whether this is happening on my other Macs with the MyBook Live.  I will post the results of testing with a different Mac later this weekend.

Also I should not - that immediately upon returning the Mac to backing up via the Time Capsule - the normal post-sleep behavior resumed.

Why is Time Machine treating the Time Capsule any different than the MyBook Live?

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

This problem mysteriously stopped on its own - no changes were made anywhere - no firmware updates.