Thunderbolt 3 daisy chaining of specific G-Drive devices

Can a G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE slim USB 3.1 Type-C External SSD be daisy-chained from the second Thunderbolt 3 port of a G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE Thunderbolt 3 External Hard Drive? The first Thunderbolt 3 port of the latter will be attached to one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports of a new iMac.

No it cannot. The slim is using USB 3.1, not Thunderbolt 3. They are 2 separate interfaces that share the same port. They do not have the ability to chain. TB3 can only chain to other TB3. USB 3.1 uses a Type-C port but it is NOT TB3 and thus cannot be chained.

It is interesting that two B&H Photo representatives told me the devices can be chained.

Material for the SSD says it is compatible with any Thunderbolt 3 device. I hate that word compatible because vendors often obfuscate the meaning. For this case, however, what can compatible mean other than interface properly with a Thunderbolt 3 device?

The compatibility comes from the fact that the cable we provide sends signals over both interfaces. Apple is the only one that can use 1 port and share both technologies. That is where the compatibility comes in. It can be attached to any of the ports on the new Mac Book Pro and the newest iMacs because they are all universal TB3/USB3.1 type C ports.

Thanks for clarification re: compatibility.

Can the G-Drive with TB3 be connected to a G-Drive USB using the USB-C port on the TB3 unit (along with a USB-A to USB-C adapter)?

Thanks.

You cannot plug any of our drives into each other unless they are specifically only Thunderbolt or FireWire. Those are the only two interfaces that allow for daisy chaining.

USB 3.1 type C although it uses the same port is not the same interface as I’ve said.

Hi There,
Can I daisy chain a Firewire 800 GTech Drive via usb or thunderbolt to each other if the connection to my Mid 2010 iMac is via Firewire ?
Thanks

No, you can only daisy chain like for like connections. Meaning it has to be the same connection all the way through.

Can you daisy chain TB3 and TB 2 hard drives? If so, is there an order that is preferable?

You can. The most common way it is done is if you have a TB3 equipped computer then you would plug the TB3 drive directly into the system and then use the adapter to go from the TB3 drive to the TB2 drive.

Can I daisy chain a WD Thunderbolt 2 Pro (using an appropriate adapter) to a G-Drive Thunderbolt 3 device?

While associating a showcase to the daisy chain, make certain it is the last gadget in the chain. dqfansurvey

Not sure if this is the right place to add to this with my question but here it goes.

I’m having an issue where I have a TB3 G-Drive and a TB3 G-Raid and I’m trying to daisy chain them to my 2017 MacBook Pro 15 inch. If the G-Raid is connected to the G-Drive and the G-Drive is connected to the MacBook it works but if its the other way (GD>GR>MBP) it doesn’t. The G-Raid is new the G-Drive is a year or two old. Any thoughts?