Thumbnails: how to make them persistent? Or load faster?

Hi All,

I have a WD TV Live with the latest firmware (see sig). I have been adding pictures (Folder.jpg) according to each folder/movie title on my NAS. For that I have used the suggested 200x300 pixels, less than 30kb size.

I noticed that the pictures/covers aren’t persistent, meaning everytime I turn off the unit, next time I turn it on it will “rebuild” all the covers again. I’m assuming that the unit doesn’t have a permanent cache?

Is there anything I can do to speed up this cover “rebuild”? Is it so slow because by using 200x300 it has to resize them all to a smaller pixel size? If so, what’s the default? I’ve searched the forum and seen a lot of different answers (120x180? 180x240? 160x240?).

Cheers.

shameless bump

Anyone?

If I’m looking at the correct XML file, the “native” resolution for the Grid View is 120x180.

I use a server also with network shares and I have always had trouble with thumbnails, including freezes on any folder with more than 75 or so subfolders each with “folder.jpg” in them. Once I go over 75 or so both our wDTV lives will occasional freeze and require a power pull reset.

I am wondering if the WDTV Live is set to build a cache on a local drive but has no method to buil a cache on a network share?

standard2 wrote:

I am wondering if the WDTV Live is set to build a cache on a local drive but has no method to buil a cache on a network share?

Of course it has no way to do that.  If there is no attached storage, and the share is read-only, where would it put the cache?

RoofingGuy wrote:

standard2 wrote:

Of course it has no way to do that.  If there is no attached storage, and the share is read-only, where would it put the cache?

LIke any other device on the network builds files does with my r/w shares?

Windows 7 builds a “thumbs.db” my seagate media player builds a thumbnail cache on the server. My WD does not…

It is obviously building an internal cache instead.

So the question remains, is there a way to get it to build a proper external cache on a network share, given that there can be hundreds and hundreds of  thumbnails? And if not what is the limit of the internal cache it is clearly building?

Very few people give their WDTV  r/w access to their shares.  WD can’t demand it.  Many users have written that they have absolutely no intentions of giving the WDTV write access to their shares, and will leave their shares read-only.

So, since not everyone has a local USB drive attached (and WD can’t really require everyone to buy a WD hard drive if they would like to use Network Shares), and since most people will not grant the WDTV write access to their shares, the WDTV ends up with no place to cache a library.

I don’t really see WD writing a separate firmware revision for you that will write a library cache to your shares.

The answer remains that the WDTV can’t write to shares.  The library cache is only built on (and useful with) local storage.

Obviously the limit is governed by the available memory within the device.  Nobody can give you a precise number of thumbnails, because their size could be 3k or they could be 300k, or anywhere in between.  When there’s no more space, previous thumbs get over-written.  But most people also don’t browse through hundreds of folders and hundreds of files every time they go to watch something… they usually just go to the folder/file they want.

RoofingGuy wrote:

Very few people give their WDTV  r/w access to their shares.  WD can’t demand it.  Many users have written that they have absolutely no intentions of giving the WDTV write access to their shares, and will leave their shares read-only.

So, since not everyone has a local USB drive attached (and WD can’t really require everyone to buy a WD hard drive if they would like to use Network Shares), and since most people will not grant the WDTV write access to their shares, the WDTV ends up with no place to cache a library.

I don’t really see WD writing a separate firmware revision for you that will write a library cache to your shares.

The answer remains that the WDTV can’t write to shares.  The library cache is only built on (and useful with) local storage.

Obviously the limit is governed by the available memory within the device.  Nobody can give you a precise number of thumbnails, because their size could be 3k or they could be 300k, or anywhere in between.  When there’s no more space, previous thumbs get over-written.  But most people also don’t browse through hundreds of folders and hundreds of files every time they go to watch something… they usually just go to the folder/file they want.

We don’t really know what “Most people” do, and I am trying to get your drift when I am discussing g the same set up as the OP . Most people don’t use harmony remotes, most people don’t care about DTS, "most people don’t " c an be said about 90% of the questions that come up here.

My thumbs are all exactly 120x180 low bit and range from 8k to a max of 28k.

And lastly when you say most people  “just go to the folder they want”, then why have thumbnails? This is thumbnail question on a NAS setup, why are you interjecting your personal views on why people don’t need thumbnails since they just go to the fodder they want, as well as making nas, which is actually very quickly increasing usage in the home, seem obscure? Is that informative or helpful?

I dont even get your assertion that “most people” would not grant r’/w acess by the WD to their fiilm folder shares. Why the heck not? It sure is safer than granting a laptop permissions! there is not delete key on the remote and you have go into a file adminsitration menu and about 5 steps to mistakeny delete a file with the WD

standard2 wrote:

I dont even get your assertion that “most people” would not grant r’/w acess by the WD to their fiilm folder shares. Why the heck not? It sure is safer than granting a laptop permissions! there is not delete key on the remote and you have go into a file adminsitration menu and about 5 steps to mistakeny delete a file with the WD

Well, between the fact that WD’s KB articles on sharing don’t require you give the device write access, and in my time here I read posts like this:

flux242 wrote:
well it’s obvious that no one will let wd write to a network share. All my guest shares are readonly for a good reason.

it doesn’t seem to be a bad assertion.

The default when I try to share something in Windows, is to share it read-only.  I can’t see anyone who isn’t more advanced in computer usage ever not just accepting the default Windows offers them.  It would certainly seem far more likely (even without reading other users explicitly say so) as if a large number of WDTV users don’t go out of their way to give the WDTV write access, and just click the “Ok” button when Windoze offers read-only sharing.

Sure, anybody who wants to give their shares write access, is quite capable of doing so, but I’d be enormously surprised if they were not the minority.

It’s not that “most users” won’t give it write access because they’re afraid to do so… they just won’t do it because it’s not the default choice.  Not everyone using their WDTV is an IT professional or a MCSE.  They just want to watch movies and TV shows and listen to music… not mess about in Windows setting and checking permissions.

standard2 wrote:
And lastly when you say most people  “just go to the folder they want”, then why have thumbnails? This is thumbnail question on a NAS setup, why are you interjecting your personal views on why people don’t need thumbnails since they just go to the fodder they want, as well as making nas, which is actually very quickly increasing usage in the home, seem obscure? Is that informative or helpful?

I didn’t say people didn’t need thumbnails… I was questioning how “critical” it is for the WDTV to be able to store “hundreds and hundreds” of thumbnails internally in its memory.  You were asking about a “proper cache” of hundreds and hundreds of thumbnails.  I’m not seeing how that would affect Joe User – based on their posts here, they turn the device on, and navigate to what they want… there aren’t a myriad of complaints around here that if they browse through too many folders with too many media files in them that the WDTV starts forgetting some of the earlier thumbs.  It seems to be a non-issue around here.  It seems as if the memory size is sufficient for most users and most users’ browsing habits.

And, even if the memory was insufficient for Joe User’s thumbnail needs, that’s not something WD can change on existing units… they’d have to build a whole new device with a larger memory.

Granted, I can only comment on users who actually post here, as opposed to ones who never have, and it is also a sure sign of having too much free time on my hands… but after reading over 103,000 posts, I think I can fairly gauge what might be applicable to “most people” and what wouldn’t. :wink: