Thumbgen Playlist

I have seen a few people discussing the playlist options in thumbgen and was wanting to see if someone could help me understand it better;

1. Does it work for the wdtv hub?

2. Is there any guide on how to use it?

3. Can you set it up so that new videos added are sorted into the correct playlists? (e.g if I added a horror movie it would add it to the horror list automatically through reading the movie info file)

Thanks for any help.

Alex

You might want to try the themes forum

Wizer wrote:

giggle :smileyvery-happy:

because this is a the cooking forum :wink:

AlexPic wrote:

I have seen a few people discussing the playlist options in thumbgen and was wanting to see if someone could help me understand it better;

1. Does it work for the wdtv hub?
  1. Is there any guide on how to use it?
  1. Can you set it up so that new videos added are sorted into the correct playlists? (e.g if I added a horror movie it would add it to the horror list automatically through reading the movie info file)

Thanks for any help.

Alex

there is no such function in thumbgen, can you tell me more about the desired file structure and desired outcome?

I believe a playlist is probably the most uncomfortable thing you can have because you would need to run your entire files again through thumbgen in order to update it.

It makes a whole lot more sense to make Genre folders or sort the library by genre. Gendre folder however make the very most sense since you can support it with a genre thumbnail and get an overview of your desired genre. A Playlist per se doesn’t sort files in a particular order it just plays the files in a desired order and i highly doubt you sit in front of your TV and watch 10 movies back to back from the same genre.

Actually, and I hate to correct DeVicious, but there is that function in TG.  It doesn’t appear though until you “Process files/folder”, then you’ll see a tab that says “Create Playlist”.

For some explaination, see this here: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3914

But the best thing to do is not to use Thumbgen for playlist, use Playlist Creator.  It’s much more versatile and you can add what you want to the playlist.

DeVicious wrote:

Wizer wrote:

giggle :smileyvery-happy:

because this is a the cooking forum :wink:

Lol

apparently the moderators moved it after I posted :robotlol:

Tinwarble wrote:

Actually, and I hate to correct DeVicious, but there is that function in TG.  It doesn’t appear though until you “Process files/folder”, then you’ll see a tab that says “Create Playlist”.

For some explaination, see this here: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3914

But the best thing to do is not to use Thumbgen for playlist, use Playlist Creator.  It’s much more versatile and you can add what you want to the playlist.

wow my expertise sucked, didn’t it?:smileyvery-happy:

I still don’t see the point of it.

Well, the point of it was mainly for older style players like the Live & Live +, which don’t operate like the newer players.  They don’t have a sort/filter function, so being able to create playlist for them is helpful.

You have to keep in mind that TG designed this software around those older style players and has just added support for the newer players.

But like I said too, it’s best to use Playlist Creator instead anyway, because you don’t have to rely on Genre, Date, etc. to create a playlist like you do with TG, you can create any type of playlist you want and mix and match any file.

But with playlist creator I’ll have to manually put each movie in a playlist while thumbgen does it automatically or is it possible to do that with playlist creator?

No, or at least I can’t remember if you can.:dizzy_face:

But why would you want to do it automatically anyway? You’ll have no control over what gets added to the playlist other then to create a playlist by genre, date, etc., nor in what order the playlist is created.

And if that is all you are wanting to do, you can just use the sort/filter option on the HUB/SMP to play your files that way.