This is customer service?

Last Friday, I bought a brand new MyBookLive from Costco.  When we went to install it in our home network, the drive immediately installed a software/firmware update/upgrade.  When completed, the drive was utterly useless and we got nothing but error codes (like trying to access it, set password, run utilities).  Even the support link just hung there instead of connecting to WD’s support site.  After 40 minutes of fruitless phone troubleshooting with WD, the lackluster support tech decided the software/firmware upgrade/update failed and/or crashed, and even the utility program would now not work to fix it (duh - send a 75 cent utility CD/DVD with the drive and save us all a buck or two).  I was instructed to drive back 45 minutes to Costco, and stand in line to return the MyBookLive.  I demanded a refund, not another unit (a no-brainer).

Dear WD and users/potential customers - this is appalling.  Not only for a product to not work right out of the box, but for there to be no way to even reset/reformat the drive remotely.  And if this was the case, WD should have stepped up to the plate, offered to ship a new unit totally updated and in working order right to my door, and also pick up and pay for shipping of the the defective unit.

Instead, we returned the piece of junk  to Costco at our expense and time, and will NEVER purchase any of your products as long as you are in business.  I can’t wait to share this story online with other potential customers.  “Too bad, customer…  Our product didn’t work right out of the box and we have no way of fixing it for you even brand new.”

Phooey, WD.

badoutofbox wrote:

And if this was the case, WD should have stepped up to the plate, offered to ship a new unit totally updated and in working order right to my door, and also pick up and pay for shipping of the the defective unit.

They will.  In fact that’s what they usually do.

But you decided to return it instead… Your decision, not WD’s…