There is no media in the current folder!

Help, I’ve searched the forums and tried everything.  I just bought this thing.  It finds my laptop which is windows 7 64x.  It finds all the folders I have shared.  PErmissions set to everyone.  Disabled my firewall.  But when I click the folders, no media it says.  Please help.

PS.  WDTV is connected to internet via wireless, great connection.  Laptop is wireless, great connection.  WDTV has latest firmware.

Can you provide a bit more information of your network setup?

What type of information

Solved, I had to delete all the permissions and ownerships in my computer and recreate them.

I am getting the same error on my Windows 7 setup.

WD TV Live is wired to my network (set as Work, not home, and WORKGROUP).  Have set everything up according to the manual (Turn on network discovery, Turn on file and printer sharing, Media streaming is off , and Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended)).

Have set up a network share to my media folder.

My network consists of:   JOHN-PC (my PC’s name) and WDTVLIVE

I can use the WDTV menu to access Folders then Network Shares, which shows JOHN-PC, which when selected shows my Movie folder, which I’ve set to share.

However, when selecting this folder I get “no media in the current folder” error.  There’s 100 movies of various formats (mp4,mkv,avi, etc) sitting there.  I’ve gone under advanced share settings and made sure that permissions for Everyone is set to Read and Change.

Any ideas how to get the WDTVLIVE to see the media in the folder?

READ and CHANGE isn’t enough.

CHANGE only allows it to MODIFY EXISTING files.   The WD also needs to WRITE files.

It would be a great option if the WD TV Live could write its files (indexes, metadata) to local USB storage instead of the remote share.  Sort of like a Blu-ray player uses an available USB storage device for BD Live features.  That way we would only need to provide read access to shares and the WD TV Live wouldn’t be changing anything on the server.

Toddler wrote:

It would be a great option if the WD TV Live could write its files (indexes, metadata) to local USB storage instead of the remote share.  Sort of like a Blu-ray player uses an available USB storage device for BD Live features.  That way we would only need to provide read access to shares and the WD TV Live wouldn’t be changing anything on the server.

I completely agree with this; further, I would think maybe they could allow one to specify a specific SHARE that one might create solely for this purpose.

Either using local storage or specific, dedicated share would also fix this issue:   http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Two-or-more-Hubs-or-SMPs-will-cause-Media-Library-Corruption-on/idi-p/296230

This would be brilliant, as using a small USB drive plugged into the SMP for backdrops/metadata etc should also speed up the change of movie backdrops as you scroll through your films. I have an older LIVE box (with custom firmware) and the moviesheets are instant when scrolling through the films. I don’t need dynamic backdrops I just want 1 backdrop to appear along with the movie synopsis.

It would be great if WD could look into making this a feature.

starwarsclark wrote:

This would be brilliant, as using a small USB drive plugged into the SMP for backdrops/metadata etc should also speed up the change of movie backdrops as you scroll through your films.

It really wouldn’t.   The current firmware does store the backdrops on USB, and I can’t really tell any improvement in backdrop loading speed…

johnnymo wrote:

I am getting the same error on my Windows 7 setup.

WD TV Live is wired to my network (set as Work, not home, and WORKGROUP).  Have set everything up according to the manual (Turn on network discovery, Turn on file and printer sharing, Media streaming is off , and Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended)).

Have set up a network share to my media folder.

My network consists of:   JOHN-PC (my PC’s name) and WDTVLIVE

I can use the WDTV menu to access Folders then Network Shares, which shows JOHN-PC, which when selected shows my Movie folder, which I’ve set to share.

However, when selecting this folder I get “no media in the current folder” error.  There’s 100 movies of various formats (mp4,mkv,avi, etc) sitting there.  I’ve gone under advanced share settings and made sure that permissions for Everyone is set to Read and Change.

Any ideas how to get the WDTVLIVE to see the media in the folder?

Having exact same issue and it seems software issue on the WDTV and for now the work around seems to be to clear all log in info from the box for shares so that you have to manually log on each time to the computer in your case JOHN-PC and then navigate to the video folder… long way round I know but for now this seems to be only way as soon as you add some thing to your media library or add a shared computer and save the login info it forgets it has files in the folder or will say the content source has been removed when you turn it back on. Right joke!

richardc1983 wrote:

Having exact same issue and it seems software issue on the WDTV and for now the work around seems to be to clear all log in info from the box for shares so that you have to manually log on each time to the computer in your case JOHN-PC and then navigate to the video folder… long way round I know but for now this seems to be only way as soon as you add some thing to your media library or add a shared computer and save the login info it forgets it has files in the folder or will say the content source has been removed when you turn it back on. Right joke!

I’m having the same issue too.  I think I may have replied to you in another thread.  The only fix I have is to leave the WD TV Live SMP powered on at all times, in which case it works for days.  As soon as you power cycle, you have to clear and reenter credentials.

Are you kidding?

That’s a huge software glitch.  Having to reenter credentials EVERY time it looks at a folder because something’s changed.  This makes me want to ditch this box right now.

I solved my “There is no media in the current folder problem” in Windows 7, and I thought I’d post this to help others with this very frustrating issue.

I did 3 things to solve it:

1. got rid of Windows 7 Homegroup (just google this; basically right click on the Homegroup listed to the left of My Computer, advanced properties, leave homegroup; then also disable the two homegroup services running)

2. change the advanced sharing properties of the Network share folder in My PC to Read/Write for Everyone (go to My computer, look for Network to the left, you should see and WDTVLIVE, click on to bring up your shared folders and if your media folder isn’t there, navigate to it and right click–>properties–>share tab to do so)

3. set the permissions specifically for your media folder.  I think this was the key.  Go ahead and brows into the folder that contains your media.  Look at the top bar and find “Share with…” tab, click it, and go to advanced sharing.  This will bring up a box containing three fields: Network file and Folder sharing,  Advanced Sharing, and Password Protection.  You want the first one, containing the box “SHARE”.  Click this.  Drag down the selection box to “Everyone” and select this, making sure Permission Level is set to “Read/Write”.

This solved my “media is missing” error.   Hope this helps.

John

Requiring open shares with Read/Write permissions for Everyone is not an acceptable solution.

Toddler wrote:

Requiring open shares with Read/Write permissions for Everyone is not an acceptable solution.

It’s not required in version 1.04.xx, but it is in 1.05.

I don’t like it either.   I manage this by making sure my SMP has its own access account that no other computers / devices in my network use…   They use a different account which is read only.