The same video will play....sometimes

I have had my WD Live for a while and everything was fine until the latest update to firmware version 1.04.17_V. The system more often than not displays the message that the file is not supported. (mostly for AVIs)

If I try 3 or 4 times to play the file, the system will finally play it, and will recognize the file types until it is turned off. When turned on again, I have to repeat the process.

Note: It does  not  matter if the files are on the network or usb drive.

Anyone run into this problem?

Try resetting the unit via the side button using a paperclip / cocktail stick. Press the button for 1 second and then release with the unit on and fully booted up. The unit will reboot.

You could also try unplugging from the power for a while.

None of this will hurt your unit and its quick and easy to do.

Unfortunatly that didn’t work.  I am still trying to narrow down the fault. If I select all files, and then select the AVI, it works first time, if I select folders and then AVI the file it fails. I am now trying it from wired vrs wireless to see if it makes any difference.

cheers

I have the same issue ,same unit,same firmware.

Sometimes files will play straight away other times I have to wait a few minutes for them to be playable.

I also have the same problem with the firmware 1.04.17. It often happens when am accesing my network shares. Sometimes it plays the files somtimes it don’t. Super frustrating! Most be fixed

I have the same problem and could not find a workaround yet. There are some other threads about this issue, but it looks like that this has never been confirmed by WD as a bug.

THIS IS SO ANNOYING!!! PLEASE FIX IT!!!

Nils

same was happening with me. Then I started to exit back when finished watching something and give it a couple of seconds to write to the usb drive prior to turning off the wd unit.  Also starting to eject prior to removing a usb.

battscrew wrote:

same was happening with me. Then I started to exit back when finished watching something and give it a couple of seconds to write to the usb drive prior to turning off the wd unit.  Also starting to eject prior to removing a usb.

And did this help?

I never switched off the WDTV without shutdown or removed a USB device without ejecting it. Though, I remove the hardrive when the WDTV is switched off and copy files on it. But then I always delete the .WDTV folder  (or similar), so that the media library is rebuild on the next boot up and does not get corrupted.

Nils