The new WD Remote iPhone app - no devices listed

Not deliberately anyway :slight_smile:

jdjespersen wrote:

Is ANYONE from WD following these threads? I can’t believe they release **bleep** like this!!!

Why not?   It works on my both sons’ iPod Touch 4’s, my Wife’s iPod Touch 3, My iPod Touch 2, and my iPad…   Works on both of my Hubs and my SMP.  

If thousands (?) of users have no issue with it, you expect a handful of lab testers (or beta testers, perhaps) to have a problem with it?

Today or maby tomorrow I’ll do some tests with another router and with wifi instead of ethernet…

The WD Community was created for Users, such as yourself, to help one another, and to share your experiences and ideas with one another. As Moderators, we are here simply to facilitate and oversee the community. If you have a question relating the what’s going on in the community, we will be happy to respond. However, if you are looking for technical support from WD, you will need to contact them directly.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Disconnected the WDTV from the ethernet and switched to wifi… and the WD Remote started working… what the heck?

Are your ethernet and WiFi networks on the same IP subnet?

yeah… i think the WDTV even got the same IP address on either network…

carlosefonseca wrote:

yeah… i think the WDTV even got the same IP address on either network…

Well that kinda indicates its own problem if you’re using DHCP. 

The Wired and WiFi interfaces have different MAC addresses, so they must be given unique IP addresses.

Are you using DHCP or static?

Hmmm. Confused. I have the WD TV Live Hub so have no WiFi option, only wired ethernet. I’ve reset evrything! The BT Home Hub Router, the Power Line Network, the Wd Tv live Hub and the iPod Touch, all to no avail. The annoying thing is that it worked for about two minutes a couple of weeks ago, until I tried to put the box into Standby. After that it’s never been detected again. 

Similar issues as many others here having difficulties.

I have WD TV Live on v1.06.xx using Wifi on 192.169.1.205 - it can access my laptop shares (on WDTVLIVE, Video->Network Shares).

My iPhone4 (iOS 4.01 JB) has the WD Remote app installed (from the Apple App Store). iPhone on Wifi 192.168.1.6

My Windows 7 latop is on 192.168.1.2 and it can see my WDTVLIVE box in the Network folder (and can access the external USB I have connected to my WDTVLIVE box and upload files to it).

Laptop has Windows firewall turned off.

The iPhone WD Remote app will not show my WDTVLIVE box in it’s device list.

I’ve power-cycled every device (laptop, modem/router, iphone, wdtvlive box).

I am totally stumped. Does anyone have any ideas please?

@mfread, I have had similar issues where my iPhone would not see/connect to my Hub. If I go into settings and disconnect from my home wifi, and then reconnect it seems to fix the problem for me. Not really sure why and I have not investigated if it has something to do with recieving different IP addresses via DHCP or not.

Good Luck

-P

mfread wrote:

Similar issues as many others here having difficulties.

I have WD TV Live on v1.06.xx using Wifi on 192.169.1.205 - it can access my laptop shares (on WDTVLIVE, Video->Network Shares).

My iPhone4 (iOS 4.01 JB) has the WD Remote app installed (from the Apple App Store). iPhone on Wifi 192.168.1.6

My Windows 7 latop is on 192.168.1.2 and it can see my WDTVLIVE box in the Network folder (and can access the external USB I have connected to my WDTVLIVE box and upload files to it).

Laptop has Windows firewall turned off.

The iPhone WD Remote app will not show my WDTVLIVE box in it’s device list.

I’ve power-cycled every device (laptop, modem/router, iphone, wdtvlive box).

I am totally stumped. Does anyone have any ideas please?

I’m afraid that your WDTV Live is not supported. You can only use the app with the NEW WDTV Live Streaming or the WDTV Live Hub.

@richUK

Well, if this is true, then that **bleep** :)  Why don’t WD be a little more explicit with their wording when promoting such an app so I don’t have to waste hours chasing my tail.

Here’s their webpage: http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

All they say is “WD TV Live” and “WD TV Live Hub” … nothing about the WD TV Live box having to be the streaming version (my WD TV Live streams video just fine - so what exactly is the WD TV Live Streaming box then? A later model than the WD TV Live?).

And my WD TV Live box has 1.06.15_V firmware installed (on the WD TV Remote webpage - above - it says “You need a WD TV Live with firmware 1.05.18 or later or a WD TV Live Hub with firmware 3.01.19 or later.”)

My WD TV Live Part Number is WDAAP0000NBK

Cheers,

Mark

I agree that the WD page is not very good. It appears that when they release a new player they can instantly forget the old player with the same name.

However the itunes page is correct.

Minimum Requirements:
• iPhone, iPod touch®, or iPad running iOS 4.0 or higher 

• WD TV Live Hub media center or WD TV Live streaming media player (Gen 3, released October 2011)

If you look at the page you posted you will see the NEW Live Streaming player, it has a different case to your player.

@richUK

Many thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated. 1 year old tech and it’s out-date already! Way to go WD.

Even though I don’t have a Gen3 WD TV Live Streaming box, I do have the latest firmware (the same firmware for both WD TV Live and WD TV Live Streaming if I’m not mistaken - firmware V 1.06.15_V). So I’m somewhat mystified why my WD TV Live box isn’t supported (with regard to the WD Remote app).

But not having a working WD Remote App is no biggy in the scheme of things - I still have a regular remote. But the extra functionality afforded by the WD Remote app would of been vey useful as I use my WD TV Live box quite often (mainly to stream vids off my laptop to my big plasma TV and to watch home videos and photos when visitors come around). I’d like to watch YouTube vids more frequently on my big TV too but find using the regular remote way to cumbersome.

Just as well there are great people out there who provide enhancements to WD TV limitations for free ( http://b-rad.cc/)..) 

Note to WD: I won’t be spending money on upgrading (purchasing a new) WDTVLIVE box just so it too can be out-dated within a few months.

God **bleep**, I just wasted 3 hours of my life trying to trouble shoot why my WD TV Live HD media player wouldn’t show up on my devices list.

Now I know when WD says:

Requirements:

• You need a WD TV Live with firmware 1.05.18 or later

They mean:

The WD TV Remote does not work on a _ WD TV Live _

_ http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9396/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzMzMDcxMTcyL3NpZC9xUzFpZWxVaw%3D%3D _

_ Maybe they should consider a firmware update to get it working with WD TV Live. _

It turns out a 3rd party app is out there that will work with the WD TV Live HD (Gen1)

WDlxTV MediaPlayers Remote

It is unfortunate that WD won’t support their older products.

@Adam12

Thanks for the heads-up.

Having looked at the website I see the app is for Android devices only - not Apple iPhone.

And of course you must have the WDlxTV firmware installed in some instances.

mfread wrote:

For Android devices only - not Apple iPhone.

Of course you must have the WDixTV firmware installed.

Not according to the table

Compatible with:

• WD TV® Live Streaming™ (official firmware)
  • WD TV® Live Hub™ (official firmware)
  • WD TV® Live™ (official firmware & WDlxTV)
  • WD TV® Live Plus™ (official firmware & WDlxTV)
  • WD TV® Gen2 (WDlxTV firmware)
  • WD TV® (WDlxTV firmware)

@richUK

Thanks for the clarification.