The colors are all wrong

This developed a few days ago. I see the screen all totally magenta color. The videos are not watchable because of messed up colors. If I wiggle and jiggle the HDMI cable a bit, then with some workout i do get proper colors and it stays that way for a while but then it goes back again to total magenta color. ( one of the three RGB components is missing or something). I have change the HDMI wires, use brand new HDMI etc… but no luck they all dupicate the same problem. Right now I am able to stabilize into proper colors with some effort but sooner or later i feel this is going to get worse. I tried to get the product replaced but i realized that it is just a couple of weeks beyond the one year warrently. Is there any other option available for me? Thanks in advance for any help.

Go into the settings and make sure that the proper colour space is selected.  Your device may have switched to YCbCr instead of RGB (or vice versa) at the last update.

not true. I have set it up as auto or HDMI…

Also, Like i mentioned by wiggling and jiggling the HdmI CABLE i can get it to work p;roperly but it becomes nuisance if you have to do it all the time.

Well, it sounds like a bad HDMI port on the box.

It’s odd, though, because I’ve never seen COLOR shifting due to a bad connector.

It’s odd even to think it’s possible.  :)   If bits are getting lost due to a bad connector, one would think the display would turn to garbage / static, or just go black.

But either way, I suggest you exchange it for a new box, or RMA it to WD.

If you have tried different cables with the same result, then the problem is most likely in the HDMI connector on the WD TV Live or TV.

You say that by jiggling the cable you can get it to work properly. You can determine which device is at fault by jiggling just the connector at each end of the cable. If you are handy with electronics repair, or know someone who is, then you can try to repair the connector; or you can hire an electronics technician to do it.

I do strongly suspect the HDMI port connector is bad. Also this has been going on for a couple of months and a couple of firmwares too… so fall back in firmware is not going to solve. In anycase by twisting and turning at the port i can always get the proper colors. I need to Call WD support guys see if they still honor the warranty eventhough it is past warranty by a couple of weeks. I hope they do it ortherwise I am going to buy a new one.

If WD will not honor the warranty, before buying a new one you might try fixing your device. If you or a friend of yours has any soldering ability, try looking for a broken or cold solder connection on the HDMI connector. Re-solder the pins of the HDMI connector to the circuit board. It might work and it is not that hard to do.

Yeah, I have had the same problem. I also have a new RMA replacement that does the same thing. I’m going out to get a new HDMI cable to see if that fixes it, but doubt it. I also have had HDMI port problems and have to wiggle the cable to get the picture back… The “new” unit does the same thing so I suspect the HDMI ports are bad by default. However I will reserve final judgement until afer I get a new cable. Sometimes if I just touch the unit the picture goes out and have to try and wiggle cables until it resuscitates itself.

The way I have resolved the magenta screen color is to go into setup, and reset the screen resolution to the maximum my receiver will handle. (1080p/60Hz in my case). Actually resetting the resolution to almost anything will bring back the color, but may not do it permanently.  However both units I’ve had don’t retain that configuration and will revert to 720p or 480 or whatever it feels like. HDMI(auto) seems to work, but doesn’t set the resolution to the highest capability of my receiver. Kind of funky, but until someone opens a video store where I can rent Bluerays again, I guess I am stuck. Like that will ever happen.

There is something wrong with firmware updates which change many of these settings. Initially when I jiggeld and wiggled the hDmi cable it appeared to have resotred the normal blue background but it would again be magenta later on.then one day i went thru every single setting and started fooling around and found out when you chose HDMI (AUTO) then boom… the magenta turned into blue normal background and it works fine. No more fooling with the wire or port.

I still donno why doing so seemed to have worked as well. But setting HDMI to auto will make it work, which is what I did to correct mine. Nothing really wrong with the unit.

The problem started after the last firmware upgrade. Nothing wrong with the hardware.

Hello i m also having trouble with my wd tv live the same way…first time 3 days ago  worked properly , second time (yesterday) output is  magenda color like you . I updated firmware but problem is still there. i tried the auto (hdmi) option but doesnt improve. Component connection is working fine so i really dont know what else to do … any suggestions???

Ty in advance.

When i had this problem i went on audio/video settings and started chosing all choices. like 1080i, 1080P etc etc… one of them works fine and you get your blue background. Everytime you flash a new firmware this might change again. But for sure i can gaurantee you nothing wrong in hardware but only with color settings etc something is not right. Good Luck!

ChristosMilos wrote:

Hello i m also having trouble with my wd tv live the same way…first time 3 days ago  worked properly , second time (yesterday) output is  magenda color like you . I updated firmware but problem is still there. i tried the auto (hdmi) option but doesnt improve. Component connection is working fine so i really dont know what else to do … any suggestions???

Ty in advance.

There have been problems with HDMI handshaking with certain TVs. If the colors are magenta, what most likely happened is that the color space was set to YCbCr instead of RGB Low (because the auto negotiation/handshaking did not work with your TV).

Go into the Audio/Video setup and manually choose HDMI, 1080i 60 Hz (or whatever your TV supports), then select RGB Low for the color space. If the WD box says that your TV does not support that, choose to ‘Force’ the output.

Do not select ‘Auto’ because the auto negitiation does not work with your TV.