Test for drive failed?

I have been getting an error message in my events folder for a PCI Simple Communications Controller.  If I uninstall “My Book” the error message goes away.  When I reinstall it I get it back.

I rand both a quick test and the extended test and both failed.   I don’t know how to fix this issue.  I see there is a firmware and software update available.   The last time I did an update I had nothing but trouble fro then on.

(My internal drive is new.  I switched from the WD Caviar Blue 500GB to the 1TB Caviar Black.  I also switched from Vista to Windows 7 when I installed the new drive.  This is NOT a dual boot, it’s a single drive with a single OS.)

I have included shots of he failed test result.

Any suggestions?  I haven’t done any backup yet because I’m also getting an error message about a boot failure for “NULL”    I want to get this all fixed.

Thanks

George

I can’t see your images until they are approved, but the PCI Simple Communications Controller could be a modem device.

R-click on the entry in Device Manager, select Properites → Details, and record the Vendor and Device ID of the PCI device.

Then search for your device here:
http://www.pcidatabase.com/

I recently got an update from Windows for that device.

Motorola Inc - Network - Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem

Installation date: ‎12/‎25/‎2010 11:28 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

Motorola Inc Network software update released in October, 2009

I erased the external hard drive (My Book Essentials)  will that remove everything including the Smartware and all updates?

SmartWare is built into the drive’s firmware, as are the updates. Erasing your drive won’t remove either. BTW, I still can’t see your images.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, been dealing with a couple of other errors.

There appears to be a new update available, so if I understand correctly, I should go ahead and install it??

You asked why I erased the drive, I was hoping to get rid of the smartware part.   When I bought this thing all I wanted a  simple external hard drive to back up system images to.   I have yet to successfully do that in over a years time.

I wonder if WD is aware of just how many people hate that thing?   It’s a shame they can’t come up with an update that would eradicate the **bleep** thing!!

I will stick to contents in your post that refer to possible device IRQ conflict. Since you haven’t given much OS or hardware info; I have to speculate. This type of device conflict can occur in a system that had been assembled at home/shop (desktop) or unwarranted/uncertified hardware addition to an OEM system.

If you’re using a desktop, look on the BIOS settings for PCI hardware setup. Usually all the PCI hardware settings should be kept at AUTO, so the plug and play system on the Windows OS will assign IRQ and DMA settings as required. If the BIOS settings are okay, try moving your Motorola PCI Modem to different PCI/PCIe slot. This will force Windows to re-enumerate PCI devices. If the condition is not changed, try removing the modem and installing Smartware, if you need Smartware so badly.

P.S. Your attached images are useless. :stuck_out_tongue: 

FYI – Personally, I am not a fan of Smartware: You don’t need it to use your WD drive effectively

Mabkay

Thank you for your reply.   The OS is Windows 7: installed on a new Caviar (1TB) Black.  My 500GB WD Blue croaked and need replacing.  Yes, I installed it myself.  I had no problem getting it up and running.  The original system was an OEM, (Acer built it)

I do not need Smartware, I hate it.    It would be useful tool if it were able to backup an entire system, alas it does not, therefore I find it totally useless.    It has however cause several issues with the programs that I do use for FULL image backups, such as Acronis True Image for WD.   I have yet to get an image that will verify as usable should my system crash, and after all isn’t that what most of us us an external drive for. 

The images I attached were to just show that I had actually run the test.

It was also my understanding that if the smartware was not installed the drive would not function correctly.

I will try the moving of the modem and see if that corrects the problem.   I’m not sure I have an open slot.  My graphics card is a GeForce GTS 450 and takes up 2 slots.  I also have a sound card in there.  I could probably pull the sound card and trade slots.    Thanks for the advice.

George

The following URL should answer many of your questions.

WD SmartWare FAQ:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Smartware/WD-SmartWare-FAQ/m-p/106470

You may also find this currently active thread interesting:

HP HD (WD disk with SATA-USB adapter) -remove virtual CD-ROM:
http://forum.hddguru.com/disk-with-sata-usb-adapter-remove-virtual-rom-t18492.html

The OP has disassembled and examined the hardware and software of a HP sd320a external drive. It uses SimpleSave backup software which appears to be an OEM version of SmartWare. There is an area at the end of the drive that is reserved for a 700MB hybrid VCD. These VCD sectors are locked by the Initio bridge chip and rendered invisible to the OS.

fzabkar wrote:
The OP has disassembled and examined the hardware and software of a HP sd320a external drive. It uses SimpleSave backup software which appears to be an OEM version of SmartWare. There is an area at the end of the drive that is reserved for a 700MB hybrid VCD. These VCD sectors are locked by the Initio bridge chip and rendered invisible to the OS.

When you say the OEM has a similar version, how would I know that and where to I look for that info?   That may be what is causing the conflict.  Also having installed a different version of Windows on a new HD (no dual boot) would that still exist, or do you get something different with each version of Windows?

I think you misunderstood my response. I was merely addressing your questions about SmartWare, ie what is it, where does it live, is it possible to remove it, etc. To this end I pointed you to a thread where the OP has dissected a HP external drive that appears identical to a WD SmartWare drive, but where the SmartWare VCD has been replaced with a SimpleSave VCD.

I have no thoughts about your device conflict. As you say, you could try removing the modem if it lives on a card, or disable it in the BIOS if it lives on the motherboard.

Alternatively, you could apply WD’s firmware update to your drive. One of these updates is intended to disable (not hide) the VCD. When you connect your external drive to a USB port, the Initio INIC-1607E bridge chip inside the enclosure enumerates as a multifunction device, first as a CD-ROM, and second as a USB hard drive (mass storage device). Perhaps it is the CD-ROM (VCD) device that is responsible for your problems.

1 Like

fzabkar wrote:
I think you misunderstood my response. I was merely addressing your questions about SmartWare, ie what is it, where does it live, is it possible to remove it, etc. To this end I pointed you to a thread where the OP has dissected a HP external drive that appears identical to a WD SmartWare drive, but where the SmartWare VCD has been replaced with a SimpleSave VCD.

I hope I didn’t give the impression that I was offended by your response, not the case.  It was a good read, but I had already disabled the VCD using the smartware manager.   I should say hid it, not  disabled it.  I will run that update, thanks.

I think I have found the problem or hope I have.  I seem to be missing a driver for the  Host Embedded Controller Interface. (Intel)   Once I can find that driver I will check it again.

All help is appreciated, what I don’t use today may be something I might need in the future.  I have often gone back over forum post looking for something I know someone told me that would solve a problem.

I’ll let you know how this turns out as soon as I get it all done.

Thanks

George

justgeorge, if you read the SmartWare FAQ that fzabkar brought up, you should know that you don’t have to have SmartWare to use the drive. 

Things to consider:

1. If you have the newer version of the My Book Essentials, the SmartWare is no longer housed on the VCD.  It is on the drive.  So, when you formatted the drive you did indeed get rid of the SmartWare software.
  2. As you already know, you can’t get rid of the VCD, you can only hide it.  But it is necessary for encrypting the drive. 
  3. If you’re getting a communication controller error when you plug in the My Book Essential, you may indeed be needing a driver.  Is Windows asking for a driver when you plug in the drive?  
  4. However, you may also have a bad USB port.  Have you tried plugging the drive into different ports.  Have you tried plugging the drive into another computer and seeing if you get that error when you do.  If you do, there may be something wrong with the USB port, or the cable, on the drive itself.   This could account for the failed tests as well.
1 Like

HI

On #3:. No, not getting any driver request.  There was a BIG warning symbol on a category called “Other Devices” in the device manager.  When I uninstalled the external drive it went away.  I assumed that it had to have something to do with the external drive.

Since that time, I’ve tracked it down to a Intel driver.  I have yet been able to locate a driver from Intel.

I didn’t reinstall the Smartware when I reinstalled the external drive.  When I backup my C drive I want to be able to do it by imaging it.   Smartware would have been a great idea but it only backs up personal files.  I’m going to run the Acronis for WD again and see if I can get an image that will verify as good.

I just ran the Data Lifeguard and both hard drives passed.

I also checked the cable on a different USB it was ok.  I also installed my camera on the USB that I had the external drive hooked to.  The USB port seems to be fine.

I think I’m going to mark this as solved, the drive passes now so thats all I wanted it to do.

Thanks for the help folks