Taking out the internal HDD to copy movie files

I just recently purchased the Live Hub and have noticed the slow transfer speeds when copying movie files over from my PC and as I have read all the numerous posts about this issue, I see other users have the same frustrations. Since I have over 1TB of movie files, this can take quite some time to copy the files that I want.

My question to the experts on this forum is this: Would it be possibole to remove the HDD from the Hub, connect it to my PC and copy all my movies over then plug the HDD back into the Hub? Is this even feasable?

Thanks.

Yes, it’s possible.

Yes, you WILL void your warranty.

1 Like

Thanks Tony for the quick response. I understand that I will void the warranty and am ok with that. Is there a guide on this forum on how to open the Hub and remove the HDD?

Looking for that as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Toro,

I found this link to a youtube video on this forum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9l22j94EeY.

It shows how to remove the top cover of the Hub and from what I can tell, the HDD is held down by one or two screws. I haven’t tried it yet but it seems simple enough to open up the Hub. Skip ahead to about 1:40.

Interesting video! 

It also helps explain drive slowness issues folks complain about with the HUB.  WD put their slowest Scorpio Blue, 2.5" 1TB drive inside;  speed 5200 rpm, w/8MB cache .  It is the drive model WD10TPVT.  These little hummers sell as bare drives for $100 or more.  In addition, there is a tiny cooling fan inside the HUB.  Great; even if the drive doesn’t get noisy, the cheap cooling fan just might.  How’s that for fun movie watching?

Seeing this video should convince anyone considering a HUB to forego it for a drive-less unit, e.g. the new “WDTV Live Streaming” and then buy an external HD with no cooling fan.  The best part:  You will get more and spend less money. 

For example, to go along with my new Live Plus last year, I bought two Hitachi drives in their own powered enclosures – no fan.  They are 2TB, 3,5", 7200 rpm, w/ 32MB cache models.  Are they fast? Fer sure;  movies and misic, np problem, and no lag time when the WDTV turns on and reads the drives.  I can take 'em to the PC if I have lots of file loading to do, but mostly I just send stuff to them through the home network at over 8mbps.  Takes under 15 mins for most movie ISO files to travel to the drives.  It all comes down to drive RPM and cache size.  The faster and bigger it all is, the better.

Are these drives quiet?  Not as quiet as a little notebook drive like the one in the HUB, but my drives only can be heard slightly when file transfers take place, but not when a movie plays, and that is what counts when it comes to drive noise.

The final “best part” about these excellent drives:  They cost me under $120 each.  I found a good deal, for sure, but anyone can do the same with a little power shopping.  If you buy an enclosed drive, be sure to find a review that tells about the actual drive inside.  Or for DYI, install a bare drive in an enclosure.  I also have some WD drives I put in enclosures.

If someone currently has a HUB, and their drive dies – it will cost over $100 to replace the drive  even as a DYI project (with the video as your guide!).  In this case, reboot, and give the whole unit the boot.  Get a drive-less WDTV and a bigger, faster and less expensive 3.5" drive.  (No, my drives are not eyesores by the TV; they both sit behind the TV outta sight!)

Bruce,  Thanks a lot Mate, It was really helpful, I could take the HDD out and move the content straight from the PC: :slight_smile:

+10

I just received the Live HUB from WD as a replacement over my crappy LIVE PLUS. They gave me a choice between the Wifi Media Streaming but I chose the 1TB drive HUB. For movie files I ended up using a 160GB USB drive instead. I thought it was faster and more convenient than the internal HDD from the hub. The device is much nicer compared to my Live Plus. I exchanged it because of firmware issues, which seems to be a common problem with almost every WD Media players.

So far, the newest released firmware (on 11/17/2011) for the HUB has addressed most of its problems and I’m liking this HUB so far. I can always store permament files to its 1TB HDD if I feel to do so in the future, I just think of it as an added bonus since I’m not even using it. My WD 160GB External USB-powered 2.5" drive that was onced used in conjunction with my previous Live Plus serves this unit well.