Taking an image backup of the OS parttion on a DS5100

The OS my 5100 has died on me too many times, and I’m really getting fed up with this. The WSE server backup feature is pretty much useless, as I can never get the machine to a state to restore it. I’ve been through a few RMAs just to get it booting again.

What I would like to do is use an imaging program like Acronis to take an image of the boot partition and put it on an external drive. In fact I already have an Acronis bootable USB hard drive that I’ve used for other projects. I can plug this into the DS5100, hold the recovery button while powering up and can boot into Acronis. BTW, is this only way to boot to the USB drive? Is there a way of allowing me to set the boot device upon start up and have it default to the OS drive after a timeout?

The only problem is I can’t see the OS drive from Acronis. I can see the data drives, but not the OS, which is kind of the whole purpose of doing this. Is there something I need to do in order to let Acronis see this drive?

you prob need the raid drivers for server backup/restore

Actually, Acronis can see it after all. But it says the drive hasn’t been initialized and it wants me to initialize it with either MBR or GUID. I’m not sure if I want to do this, as I don’t want to screw anything up.

What is your goal?
I guess you want to be able to restore it? I suggest server backup but you need extra dives to test

Sorry I have no clue how acronnis will handle it, but perhaps one of the usb clone devices?