System Volume Information Corrupt- Essential

Following a couple of weeks of data causing my computer to freeze I discoverd that the system volume information had a corrupt file, I have managed to remove the file but now my computer won’t recognise the external drive.

I am definitely not a computer expert but have been finding my way around and the WD book appears I just can’t access it.

Can anyone help?

Greetings,

This is helpful.  Was the corrupt file on the external, or located in the OS?  

What OS are you using?  So the drive is detected, but is not assigned a drive letter?  Have you tried connecting the external to another PC?

The corrupt file was on the external.  I am using Windows XP.  Yes have tried connecting external to laptop and get exactly the same thing.

Hi Jenny,

It sounds like the drive is working correctly.  I would recommend testing it using DLG DIAG, but the windows version will not likely be able to test if it’s not properly dected and assigned a drive letter by the OS.  The DOS version might work, but would depend on your hardware…  if it support bootable USB devices, etc.  

Question,  does the drive throw the “System Vol Error” when its connected to both computers?  Have you looked in Disk Management?  Does the drive appear there at all?  Does it list it’s status and/or formatting?  Please answer and I’ll provide next best steps…

Hi thanks for your reply.  I have no idea what DLG DIAG is.  The drive doesn’t appear anywhere and now if I go into Disk Management it comes up 'connecting to Logical Disk Management Service and just freezes and eventually comes up with a not responding message.

Don’t ask me how but I have through trial and error resolved the problem and have my F drive and all the files expect the corrupt ones back.

Hi Jenny,

This is good news.  I have some additional suggestions you may want to consider.

-Please back up your data.  Important files should always be backed up to two media sources or locations.  In the event of hardware failure, detection failure or formatting issue, you data will be safe and accessible while you are troubleshooting.

-Once your data is safely backed up, I’d recommend testing the drive using DLG DIAG.  Data Lifeguard Tools is a free disk testing software that confirms a disk’s health and status.  Link to software HERE

-Consider reformatting the drive.  Start with a clean slate.  Once you have tested and confirmed the drives health, reformatting will resolve any any discrepancies with the disk’s formatting or file system.  At that point, you can recopy your data back to the drive.

Most importantly, please back up your data.  All hardware fails (from any manufacturer).  Replacing a failed drive is alot better than loosing important data or memories.

Take Care