System backup and data rescue Ex2 Ultra

Hello,
I would like to ask you about the following situation

I have Mycloud Ex2 Ultra and 2x12TB RAID1 HDD.
Is the system stored on the HDD or on the physical Mycloud Ex2 Ultra?

If the Mycloud Ex2 Ultra machine breaks down but the HDDs are functional, if I just buy a new Mycloud Ex2 Ultra and put in my two functional 2x12TB HDDs that are in RAID1, will everything automatically continue to work by itself and the data will stay on the drives and no disk format will be performed? So it would be plug & play?

Or is it the other way around, and if the standalone Mycloud Ex2 Ultra machine breaks even though the HDDs are functional, then all the data is gone?

Hi @matejvc ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

Sigh. This is such a basic question. . . and the bot is begging you to get a custom answer.

The short answer:
The drives are swappable to another case. When you insert the drive, you will have a message on the EX2 dashboard that gives you the choice to “Import a roaming volume” or “Reformat”. I suspect that would be true for MOST WD products using the same OS.

PS: You want a data backup; there are plenty of common mode failure scenarios that can corrupt both drives.

1 Like