Synology OS on WD my Cloud - new Hope

I have the same problem.
Does anyone have a solution for this?

It shows the Welcome screen and a button to start setup. and then asks for a .pat file
I could download one from Synology but i have no idea if any is compatible or this pat file needs to be patched to work with WDMyCloud Gen1

Anyone has any information?
Thanks in advance,

For what ever reason there doesn’t appear to be a “.pat” file in the WDMyCloud-Gen1 repository. As such it may not be possible to install DSM to the first gen single bay My Cloud. For other My Cloud models, like the second gen single bay My Cloud, there is a “.pat” file. For example from a repository someone else made of the files: https://wd.hides.su/fox_exe/WDMyCloud-Gen2/DSM/DSM-wdmc-gen2-8451.pat

Because of the limited hardware on the first gen single bay My Cloud running any of the alternate firmware’s is problematic and tend to ether slow, have features that do not work, or simply crashes/fails to run.

1 Like

Hi Bennor. Thanks so much for your reply.
I guess i try to revert back to WD firmware using the files in the backup folder for Gen1.

I don’t know if this is the right place to report issues on DSM for My Cloud devices but well… here it is.

Yesterday I installed DSM-wdmc-mirror-gen2-8451.pat on a My Cloud EX2 Ultra and, so far, it looks good. The only clear issue I’ve seen so far is that when I click on “Shutdown”, the device does not turn off but the DMS GUI stops being accesible. I’ve tried calling init 0 from ssh and I experience the same issue; DSM is no longer accesible but the device stays on.

I’ve also tried waking it up with a magic paquet when the device is in that state but it does not come back. I have to unplug the device and turn it back on. It does not sound like a healthy practise.

Can this problem be fixed? I did some research in the forum and I saw other users mentioning this bug but I’m not sure if there is any way to fix it.

And one more question: if I wanted to go back to the old OS 3 or OS 5, what should I do? Is there any tutorial on how to do that?

edit: I just read that the shutdown issue is a known bug on version DSM-wdmc-mirror-gen2-8451. Does anyone know if this has been fixed on version DSM-wdmc-mirror-gen2-15047? And is it worth the change? Because I’ve heard that it can be problematic to install it.

Is the recovery firmware still on the device? If it is. . .you can basically key files from the O/S. . . and then when you boot up the recovery firmware will kick in and prompt you to load new firmware. (from that point, you could load OS/3 or OS/5)

The key here is figuring out if the recovery firmware is still present. . . .without bricking your device. THAT I cannot advise you on.

I don’t know if it is. How can I check?