Synch vs Share

Hello All,

I just bought the a WD Mycloud 4TB. So far, so good. Here is my question. I know the Sync function keeps the copy on the WD drive updated with the data that is stored on my hard drive. I have synched my pictures and my music. Would it make more sense to just create a share for my pictures and music and remove the music and pictures from my hard drive? If I make any changes to the files, I would make them on the WD share?

As a general question, why would use use synch vs setting up a share?

Thanks, Bill

That is up to personal preference and your personal needs. A backup (A copy of your files available at the same time in a different location) is recommended at all times, however, some people use dedicated backup drives while others use external units for additional storage once their computers are full, and others prefer for their units to delete files removed from their computers as to remove file clutter.

1 Like

Thanks Trancer. I kind of figured it was personal preference. I am still mulling it all over in my head. Afterall, anything placed on the My Cloud is backed up via RAID 1 already so if I have a copy of a file on my computer and I have a synched copy on My Cloud, I have 3 copies of that data. I am not running out of space on the 1TB hard disk that I have in my desktop PC so perhaps this is a luxury that I can afford until space on my PC’s hard disk becomes an issue.

Bill

RAID 1 is not a backup; it’s fault tolerance in case of an individual hard drive failure. If the entire volume gets corrupted or if the controller fails data can still be lost.

I thought RAID 0 was what you describe.

Here is what I see as the definition for RAID 1:

In RAID 1 mode, the RAID controller duplicates all data from one drive to a
second drive in the drive group. RAID 1 provides complete data
redundancy but cuts the required storage capacity in half.

Conversely, RAID 0:

RAID 0 mode provides disk striping across all drives in the RAID drive
group.
RAID 0 does not provide data redundancy but does provide the best
performance of any RAID level. RAID 0 breaks up data into smaller
segments and stripes the data segments across each drive in the drive

Right?

That is correct. However, data corruption can still affect and compromise the entire volume. Additionally, you can replace an individual disk drive upon failure in RAID 1 (Which results in complete loss in RAID 0). However, if the controller itself holding the RAID array fails then the entire volume is lost.

RAID 1 is data redundancy, but it’s still 1 physical device. A backup is best described as redundant data available at once in two separate physical devices.

1 Like