Switching from Category to File...need to restart backup?

I siwtched my laptop to file/folder a while back.  I assumed it would keep on keepin on.  I just peeked at the backup files and they haven’t updated since 9/14.

Then I just switched my desktop to files (after already backing up 100GB worth in category mode over the past year).  I see that the “start backup” button is showing.  hmmm.  I click on that and it seems to be restarting about 100GB worth of backups.

So, when you switch from category to file/folder:

1)  Do you need to click “start backup” again?

2)  Does the drive compare the files selected to what was already copied over in the past while in category view?  Or does it just do a fresh copy of everything?

1. will the drive then delete anything that WAS copied over in catgory view, but is now NOT a selected file?

It seems to have copied 50GB in the past 30 minutes over G wireless, so I’m thinking it’s just re-comparing, not full re-copying.  It would be nice if the software prompted you to “reactivate the backup” when you switch methods.  This is 1.5.1.6.

1)  Do you need to click “start backup” again 

Yes.

2)  Does the drive compare the files selected to what was already copied over in the past while in category view?  Or does it just do a fresh copy of everything?

In my experience, I might be wrong, it just compare what you have and pick up from the missing files.

1. will the drive then delete anything that WAS copied over in catgory view, but is now NOT a selected file?

No, the software do no delete data.

1 Like

No, the software do no delete data.

hmm.  so if I put a bunch of dslr videos on my pc at night, it will copy them all, but then if I go back to the PC the next morning, edit some and delete others, it will update the modified files but not remove the files from the MBl that I deleted from the PC?

if I were to do a restore later, it would then restore a bunch of files I’d deleted off the PC a long time ago.  that seems like a waste of time and space…

cman548 wrote:

hmm.  so if I put a bunch of dslr videos on my pc at night, it will copy them all, but then if I go back to the PC the next morning, edit some and delete others, it will update the modified files but not remove the files from the MBl that I deleted from the PC?

if I were to do a restore later, it would then restore a bunch of files I’d deleted off the PC a long time ago.  that seems like a waste of time and space…

actually, smartware should give you the option to restore either all the files on the drive, or all but deleted files.  it will actually mark a file as deleted that was deleted from your computer.  however, do not attempt to delete those files from the backup folder.  it will stop your backup from working correctly.  I found that out the hard way. 

1 Like

hmm.  looks like I’ll have to have an un-backed up location where I dump all the videos and pics, and then a “keepers” folder that is backed up.  No point in backing up a bunch of HD videos I’m going to delete anyway, if they’re going to remain on the MyBookLive permanently.

yeah, I agree.